Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

While everyone was talking on and on about the "Corona Babies" that would supposedly be conceived, I was thinking about all the marriage that might be headed for divorce (and worse) because people could be trapped in a confined space with one another, including those trapped in abusive relationships.

Between this horrible story and the unfortunate prisoner who should've been released from prison already, and the homeless people sleeping in a parking lot while practicing 'social distance', this crisis really has become a 'black light' showing up all the stains of society's various ills.

• Members

Let me tell you my experience: everyone should be provided with masks. Everyone should wear them.

A couple of weeks ago, I learned my boss tested positive. I found myself at risk of having contracted the virus. I was self-quarantining before the lockdown was even in place. Then I was forced to leave my apartment. There was no other solution, I had to leave my apartment for 2 hours. I needed a mask, but I had no masks. Because every expert had said "Leave the masks to the infected and the health workers".

I don't understand why it should be my fault that no one thought of amping up face masks production when they knew an epidemic/pandemic was on its way (the WHO warned the most at risk countries in January). Anyway, as soon as they produce more face masks, everyone will be/should be provided with a package of face masks.

• Members

I can't even imagine what certain segments of society are going through. LGBT kids trapped with homophobic parents. Young workers trapped with dangerous flatmates (1 year ago, my flatmate became my stalker... thank God I moved out but it wasn't easy). Quarantine can be a nightmare for many people, my heart goes out to them.

The picture with the homeless sleeping in a parking lot was shocking. It reminded me of an article I read a couple of years ago by a person who works for a charity that gives out food and clothes to the homeless. Some of them see the streets as their home and they just won't take shelter anywhere else, because of even worse experiences and distrust (hence authorities should make more of an effort to deserve their trust). That's just another perspective.

• Members

One of the things that I most hold against former NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg (besides Stop and Frisk) is the fact that he promised to address this need but never did. He was supposed to oversee the construction of more affordable housing for families as well as Single Rooming Options (studio apartments), particularly for homeless men (many of whom were veterans, some with substance abuse and mental health issues that often kept them in a cycle of homelessness and hopelessness. Even as the homeless problem became a full-blown crisis, not seen since the Reagan years, Bloomberg did nothing to alleviate this.  In fact, more luxury buildings and apartments were built under his watch than any other NYC municipal government in memory.  One of the reasons why I'm glad he got so little support that he eventually dropped out of the presidential race.

• Members

As much as I've come to dislike DeBlasio and his rigid leftist doctrine (which didn't seem as thoroughly ground in when he first got into office but is now), DeBlasio inherited an intractable homeless crisis that has proven extremely difficult to burrow out of. At the very least DeBlasio put an end to stop and frisk and set about trying to rectify some glaring criminal justice matters that had been festering during the Bloomberg administration.

Since we could use all the good news we can get.