Days: January 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

All this time I've wondered why they haven't taken advantage of CM's smirking and make his character a trouble-making prick. You see soap writers twisting a character to fit an actor's limited range all the damn time. Will is just a smirking blank canvas with nothing drawn on him due to gayness.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you for that info! I've been in and out for years but I don't remember it being this bad, my goodness. It's physically uncomfortable to watch. Like watching The Office, that secondhand embarrassment feeling. 

Lol, you poor thing! I don't know how anyone can stand it.

Another insufferable presence. I don't like BF or KM and desperately wish they'd never brought back Chad and Abby.

• Members

I remember liking Billy Flynn a lot years ago and thought he was a really good Chad recast. But the last few years, he comes off super smug onscreen in a way that goes deeper than the character. I don't know what it is! And I think both of their stuttering tics have snowballed off each other in scenes together lately, haha. I read a rumor there was tension between the actors and they didn't like each other that much? I want the tea!

I also noticed Kate Mansi is recurring by choice. I wonder if they're planning to write Abby off for a while at some point or if she'll just be indefinite recurring like John Aniston? It's interesting.

Edited by alexisfan07

• Members

I choose the former -- and I blame that on the fact that the actors on DAYS, like their colleagues on the other soaps, lack the necessary direction and rehearsal time.  It's just "stand on your mark, say your lines, move onto the next scene," without any opportunities to do what Al Rabin would do, which was to sit down and ask, "What have we shared with the audience?".

Edited by Khan

• Members

Exactly.

When Chandler won an Emmy the year they accidentally ran a scene with Guy Wilson's Will instead, he made an off-handed, snarky remark, which I thought was pretty clever.  (Something like, "You see what I did up there in that scene?  I was pretty awesome, wasn't I?").  THAT's what the writers should write to.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I like Billy Flynn, but the smirking thing takes you out of the scene. If that's his acting choice to make Chad smug, it doesn't work for me. It seems more like he's smirking at the material he's playing. 

It's similar to Y&R's Joshua Morrow, another actor I like, but whenever he has to play a scene where his character, Nick, isn't privy to whatever is being discussed by other characters and Nick is supposed to be oblivious to what's going on, you can tell Morrow knows exactly what's going on and isn't playing oblivious successfully. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

@Khan @KMan101 Does DAYS basically do one take? I’m curious because I’ve never seen a soap where more actors stumble, stutter, clearly mix up lines that they try to correct than DAYS. It’s pretty funny on CC. DAYS also has very long scenes 2 min+. The production really illuminates the truly skilled and vets. LG is a standout of the newer additions.