Y&R March 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this month will be more interesting was then February was. (Even though February was a sweeps month.) There were things spoiled in February to happen that didn't. It looks like March will have some storylines finally pick up some steam, and maybe use more of the cast.(Than mostly just the Rosales/JT group). And some unexpected things may happen. Today's show (which was originally supposed to air in February) was a nice use of a lot of the cast. I want to see more of that going forward in March. 

• Members

Just thinking about Mal's reign and the use of sets.

I may be wrong as I don't watch regularly but it seems these sets are no longer in use

Chancellor Estate

Baldwin apartment

Newman Enterprises(Victor's office)

Neil's penthouse

Hamilton/Winters office

Ashby living room

Newman ranch

GC Buzz

Phyllis/Summer's apartment

Sets still in use

Devon's penthouse

Crimson Lights

Jabot

Abbott house

Sharon's cottage

GCPD (a revamped set?)

GCAC

Victoria's house (now w/o entrance)

New sets

Rey's apartment

Dark Horse offices

Newman living room

Nick's house

What have I missed?

So overall, are they using fewer sets? Are the new sets on the whole smaller,so perhaps they can be permanent at the studio to save on having to pull down/erect sets every day?

• Members

It also seems that the old courtroom has been retired in favor of the cheap plastic looking version shown over the past few days. The old version had dark, mahogany walls. It had been in use for at least 25-30 years and had been revamped under JFP.

And the tack house has been MIA for a long time too 

• Members

The loss of some of the iconic sets (the Chancellor Estate and Victor's office) is truly a travesty.  While I really like the new Newman Ranch sitting room, it is too small a set -- especially for the mighty Newman family.  Like other sets (Victoria's house, the GCAC, and Nick's home) it has no entrance or foyer.  From a production standpoint, Mal Young was a complete failure!  Shrunken sets, classic and spacious sets struck down, bright, bright, and more bright lights that make everything look washed out and cheap.  I was watching some of the classic episodes posted in the Old Y&R Articles thread and was taken aback by how lush and classy the show was pre-JFP and MY.  The old courtroom set and the GCAC suites were just grand and elegantly Gothic.  The Newman Enterprise Boardroom was so big and quite the dynamic set.  Still, nothing beats the old-school Chancellor Estate... The cream colored living room, that French toile mural in the foyer, and the mint green dining room.  Jill Foster Abbott should be living it up as the lady of the manor.  I'm just grateful that MY didn't strike down or shrink the Abbott mansion.  I hope the new regime reconstructs some of the older sets and adjusts the brassy lighting.  Just as the classic music cues add substance to the scenes, the sets are almost as important as the characters. 

Archived