Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Members

Soap fans tend to frame actors into their time in soaps but Kristoff started out as a child in the industry.  He knew many people.  I'm not sure if anyone besides those who were closest to him truly had insight, except perhaps each person's individual experience with him.

The writing on Y&R tended to box the character in and sadly, unless you made the effort, it was easy to forget how talented KSJ was.  I think he may have realized this and he tried to take on other acting roles in other arenas/media over the last few years. 

I was hoping Netflix would've picked up his documentary because as a former child actor who is well known and had this very rare experience in childhood, I thought it would've gotten a lot more attention.  I've seen documentaries that were a lot less compelling get picked up for Netflix.  I was surprised how fast the buzz faded, especially since KSJ tried hard to promote it.

The more I read these tweets and see videos and posts, the sadder I become.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Devastating news. Another one of the Y&R great ones gone. He (and Victoria Rowell) were the first two people I ever saw on Y&R. People would often complain about Neil's character (and, in recent years, they had many reasons) or call him boring, but his every moment was honest, authentic, organic. A strong presence, a beautiful man, and I always smiled when he came onscreen, even if the writing for him was terrible. What a loss. May he RIP.

• Members

The first news I heard when I got out of the jungle today was about the passing of a dear friend and colleague, Kristoff.. He was an amazing person and soul. My heart is broken.Sending lots of love and strength to his family and loved ones🙏💔#kristoffstjohn #youngandrestless #yr

DymCKkVVAAE872b.jpg

• Members

Yes... many people only have their own frame of reference.  I've known who he was ever since I was a kid, as "Bad News Bears" was a TV series I loved and watched every episode of. Later on I found out that his father, besides being a director, was also in "Shaft". So his family has deep ties to many parts of the industry, not just daytime.