Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Members

Yeah, ABC News is reporting on it during their nightly newscast. The story really blew up on social media, and these outlets  are in thrall to social these days. Was the last major untimely death of an active soap star Benjamin Hendrickson? I could be forgetting someone obvious. Nathaniel Marston had been long off OLTL when he passed.

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not sure about that. He might have felt comfortable in daytime. There is a trade off, if you are a contract player, in daytime you have a certain amount of guaranteed, steady work... although the work is harder for lower pay than prime time or movies. A lot of actors appreciate the security in a very unstable industry. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

KSJ had a long, storied career in TV before Y&R. Things being as they are and were then and now I can't fault him for sticking with the guaranteed security at Y&R for decades after. But yes, he could've done so much long after.

It's easy for us to say soaps never gave him enough credit or attention and IMO that's absolutely true, yet at the same time he came up on Y&R in a time when you had young black professionals breaking out across TV - in the same era as Boomerang, Living Single, etc. - and we see today just how much that image of Neil, or Neil and Dru, meant to a lot of people.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Thank you to everyone who has been posting the social media comments. I was at work, and it came up as a headline, but couldn't look about it until the day was done. Shemar's video was way too real and caused tears.