The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The NYT has begun their 2024 whisper campaign of “Democrats are “whispering” that Biden shouldn’t bother running for re-election. I don’t feel like posting the article. The same news outlet that apparently believes that Trump running in 2024 is somehow viable.

Yet somehow they also manage to inject a quote from Howard Dean decrying how much of a trash heap the next generation of Democrats in office are. How subtle.

• Members

Unfortunately, I get a paywall with the NYT, but am following this story on The Guardian site. These two grifters always raiding taxpayer money/government patronage like their own personal candy store.

(The Times of London is owned by News UK, in turn owned by News Corp, in turn owned by Rupert Murdoch, of course).

Everything about this story highlights not only Johnson's (and Symonds') personal greed and corruption, but also his enduring cowardice. He seems afraid of her and has constantly lobbied for a taxpayer-funded salary/position for her in order to placate and occupy her.

• Members

I don't want independent newspapers to go out of business, so I buy subscriptions when I can afford to. 

Sometimes it's a single article for a publication I wouldn't normally read, so I don't want to subscribe.

Furthermore, some years I can barely afford rent and food, and I simply cannot afford ANY subscriptions.

This is my simple workaround in such situations:

Many newspapers allow a certain number of free articles within a specific time period (day, month, whatever).  Or a certain number of free articles in your personal lifetime.  After you have exceeded the allowed number of views, it asks for paid subscription.
  The simplest solution (for me) is to delete my cookies from that one news site, and then it immediately resets to zero and I can again see the specified number of free articles.  Simple and easy.

If that doesn't work, then I try what others have suggested above.