The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My lingering question on Depp case is - If public perception is that she's lying, how can they prove defamation?  I mean if "all of social media" questions Amber's validity than how could an obscure article that she wrote have ruined his career?

It seems like an illogical approach

Edited by j swift

• Members

Johnny Depp filed for defamation, claiming the op-ed Amber Heard wrote for The Washington Post, caused financial losses to his career and claims it damaged his ability to profit from his vocation. And the case, if you've followed or even watched, is dissecting whether or not the opt-ed was true, etc. They've gone over their relationship, images, have expert witnesses, etc. And, having watched, the burden to prove on Depp's side seemed difficult, but, as the case has gone on, I do believe his ability to win his suit is strong. At this point, it's about Depp re-claiming his reputation. Almost everyone who has testified claims that even under the influence of alcohol and drugs, Depp's demeanor did not change, which is a major claim made by Heard that when he was under the influence, the "monster" came out and he became abusive towards her. But Heard's stories do not add up.

• Members

I've been following the trial, and I find the article about misinformation interesting.

However my query remains, because it is a civil trial, and he would have to prove damages in order to win.  So, if the public perception is that his ex-wife is a con artist and a liar. than how could her statements damage his reputation?

E.g. - if a known plagiarist wrote a bad critique of a novel on Amazon, the author of the novel would have no standing because everyone knows that the plagiarist is an untrustworthy source

The best defense against slander is the truth, but this trial based on defamation.  If Mr. Depp wants to re-claim his reputation, I would have suggested a fluff piece in GQ magazine, not a trial with videos of him overweight and stumbling drunkenly around his kitchen. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

In which Kasie Hunt plays Twister with herself to avoid simply saying 'blocked by Republicans' and using every other synonym possible to avoid blowback from either her bosses or her GOP access:

• Members

Jack Dorsey stepped down from the Twitter board, many say should come as no surprise, given that it was expected but the timing is leading others to interpret this as a sign that Jack is trying to distance himself (belatedly) from Elon Musk, who he had been reportedly in favor of buying Twitter, and also taking it as a signal that Twitter is in disarray.

Sorry for the punctuation issues, but anything involving these clowns doesn’t inspire me to spend more time and diligence as I can barely stand them.