Overused and Underused Character Names on Soaps

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As was alluded to, Jake was a popular man’s name in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s on soaps.

Jake McKinnon (AW)

Jake Maclaine (B&B)

Jake Morton (Santa Barbara)

Jake Martin (AMC, although I think he was known as Joey up until Michael Lowry took the role)

Jake Harrison (OLTL)

Being named Jake clearly meant “studly” back in the day. Tom Eplin, Todd McKee, Rick Edwards, Joe Lando, not to mention Lowry and J. Eddie Peck. All sold as beefcake.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I remember Bill Bell saying he and Lee were friends with a couple who had sons named Ridge and Thorne and he promised himself that someday he would use those names. The same for Snapper. He said friends of theirs had a snotty little son named that and he used it. He also named characters after his wife and children Lauralee ( Lauralee "Lorie" Brooks), Bradley (Brad Eliot, Brad Carlton), William Jr (William Foster Sr. & Jr.. WIlliam Foster Abbott(Billy). Philip Chancellor II, III, IV (Lee Philip Bell's maiden name of Philip). The set decorator on Y&R in the 70's was named Brock Broughton (so I assume Brock was named for him). 

Two old names that were used a lot on old shows and movies in the 70's was Boris and Byron. I can't recall off hand soap characters with those names. 

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

There was female cop on Y&R throughout the 80's named Salena.

Each of the shows  had lead females whose names were pretty much off limits for other shows

AMC

Erica, Tara, Anne, Nina, 

AW

Rachel, Iris, Lenore, 

ATWT

Lisa, Kim, Joyce. Penny

EON

Nicole

DOOL

Marie, Trish

TD

Althea, 

GH

Audrey, Jessie, Diana

GL

Sara, Holly, 

OLTL

Dorian, Melinda

RH

Faith, Delia.

SFT

Jo, Eunice, Kathy

Y&R

Lorie, Nikki, Chris

That's just a quick list. I'm sure there are many more.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

The only "Donna" I can think of is AW's Donna Love.

Bobbie, Jill, Erica, Lisa, Iris, Dorian - all iconic signature character names. 

It's the men's names that are so repetitive with "Jack" being the worst offender. Every soap has one or two.