Overused and Underused Character Names on Soaps

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

SOD did a blurb on this back in the day. I forget who they spoke with at Y&R, but they talked about how it wouldn't be uncommon for there to be more than one John among a small canvas of people and how John Silva was almost always referred to by his full name.

Reminds me of Harry Morton and Harry Vonzell on Burns and Allen.

AW/Texas had Vivien Gorrow, Iris' maid

AMC had Vivienne Taylor Roxbury, Taylor Roxbury Cannon's mother

GL had Vivian Grant

Edited by SFK

• Members

AMC had Vivienne Taylor Roxbury and daughter Taylor Roxbury Cannon and Mary Greenlee Smythe and daughter Greenlee Smythe.

Added to my previous list, Victor Jr. who would someday become Adam. I was in high school when Hope had him and thought Victor Jr. was overkill then.

• Members

Unusual in soap land and not particularly common in real life, yes, but not really original as there have been notable people with the surname and also a county in Arizona.

Another World had two of my favorite unique soap names in the late 60s/early 70s: Lenore and Lahoma.

Based on my age and the names that were common throughout my K-12 school years, daytime should be filled with characters named Brittany, Jessica, Ashley, Courtney, Megan, Seth, Shane, Joshua, Justin, Jordan, Tyler, and Taylor right now. I think the problem is that maybe soaps helped spark the popularity of some of those names, so the most popular characters with those names are actually older (re: Taylor, Joshua, Ashley, Shane).

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I grew up in an era where it seemed every African-American girl at school was named Erica.  So, while the name hasn't been overused in soaps, I feel it's DEFINITELY been overused IRL.

Also...?  Just because you name her Erica, all mothers out there, that doesn't mean she's gonna be like Erica Kane.  Just as being named after a former NFL player obviously did not ensure I would have a career on the gridiron.

Edited by Khan