Y&R July 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Thursdays Episode

I'm hoping Shauna is the one to expose that Lily ran the red light. I don't want that bitch to get away with it.

I feel like even though I know what's coming, I'm as hopeful as the Hilary character. I wanted to like the Neil and Hilary scenes, but just like with Lily and Cane, you literally hated this bitch until she was on death's door. KSJ is playing it well, but it just feels hollow.

I wanted to feel more from the wedding but my disappointment at how final they're making Hilary's death is getting in the way and I just feel upset instead of sad.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Friday's Episode:

Man, I knew it was coming but it still hit me way harder than I was expecting. Bryton and Mishael killed it. "Maybe I did do something right." Bravo to whoever wrote that final line for Hilary. Devon telling that final story as the realization slowly comes over him that Hilary is gone. Powerful stuff.

While Mishael and Bryton moved me, I still can't get over giving this major character such a final death. I really don't get it.

• Members

Like I said earlier, they are willing to trade their soul for an increase in ratings. So trading Hilary for ratings is nothing. 

While I hated that she was killed, I will say the story stayed true to her character until the end. That last line was perfect for Hilary considering her through line was a woman who couldn't get out of her own way by  her actions screwing herself out of happiness while in search/fighting for it. 

I also felt like writers were talking to us fans who said that they wasted Hilary and hevon for years with contrived BS to keep them apart. "we wasted nothing". Whatever show, what ever! 

• Members

I know the rest of the show can’t simply grind to a halt, especially in this era, but the Devon and Hilary scenes made the Nick/Billy dick-waving, the Tessa/Mariah scenes, and the other nonsense seem extra frivolous. Like, Mal. Watch the tone. You can’t just shift from heartfelt deathbed scenes to hijinks at the bar. Thankfully, they gave Hilary and Devon the entire last segment, and Bryton and Mishael absolutely devastated me.

What a shame that a character as empty as Tessa gets a SISTER while someone as dynamic as Hilary doesn’t get any blood family to speak of. Ridiculous.

• Members

Hilary is the only character Y&R's created in the past decade or so that was relevant and actually stuck (and that most of the audience actually cared about, even if the writing wasn't always there).

Of course this show would permanently kill her off with no chance of a return..

• Members

I'm playing catch up.

The Nick reveal was WTF I'll admit. However, damn Joshua Morrow has been looking damn good ever since the Christian stuff. I also loved the flashbacks of Nick/Victor. 

Not sure how I feel about Phyllis/Nick, but those scenes were hot.

Lastly, OMFG I'm sooooo sad that Hillary is leaving us, but damn are they giving MM a pretty damn good sendoff. I'm not completely done this week yet, but man I've been near tears, everyone is REALLY stepping up. A whole week dedicated to Hillary, I have to say while injustice was done to not keep the actress (although I think she will find MUCH SUCCESS elsewhere), the goodbye scenes have been very well written and I appreciate the time and dedication. 

Y&R will never be what it once was, I've come to accept that. I don't see the show going on for much longer, so I'm going to enjoy how they shape and explore these characters for what we have left of them - for the most part, it makes sense the motivations.

• Members

Sadly, yes. Even more recent, Chloe was 'dead' on-screen, in casket and she was alive. If MiM/Sony work something out after she gives birth, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that involved Nate detecting a pulse after Devon left and he sends her to a clinic. I mean, really, who cares about the 'how,' if she comes back. 

It took Y&R so long to find a black actress who could inspire the audience after VR, I'm still shocked they couldn't come to terms that was fair to both sides. Sony is a business and Y&R is VERY top heavy with a lot of cast members being 25+ year vets, so that's a factor. It's just really unfortunate. I do hope MiM gets cast in one of the network/streaming series. 

• Members

I don't want to sit through another WTD storyline w/ Phyllis.

Looks like Mal is extending the Newman/Abbott feud to the next generation w/ Nick and Billy.

Nick is now the new Adam instead of Kyle. 

Archived