Non-Hollywood Sexual Assault & Sexual Harassment

• Members

She should have charges, too. First, she was dressed inappropriately for a workplace, unless this is a "hooters" type of place. But what she did could have easily cause permanent physical damage. What ever happened to just turning around and slapping a guy in the face? That would have been the appropriate reaction. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

When the man that Zhou had accused of grabbing her and focibly kissing, groping her threatened to sue her for emotional distress and reputational harm, Ms. Zhou countered with a lawsuit of her own, for damage to her dignity. 

Her words "Let's get ready to fight".  

It's no wonder that she's become a hero in China's emerging #MeToo movement.

She’s on a #MeToo Mission in China, Battling Censors and Lawsuits

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Reading that article, details that I'm seeing for the second time, I'm reminded of the fact that the arts scene in the U.S. has often been built on the cult of personality of usually one figure.  Even at some of the most esteemed institution there is often a centering around one man (it's overwhelmingly men who run the most esteemed arts institutions).  NYCB is probably one of the most extreme cases, but only because most institutions and companies have at least one heir apparent waiting in the wings to take over when the person in charge steps down.

This article also makes me think of how famed choreographer Bob Fosse was said to harass many of his dancers, some of whom seemed to excuse it as him being needy.  I wonder, though, if you were to talk to those former dancers, in the context of today's #MeToo movement, would they feel the same?  Needless to say, that upcoming biopic about Fosse and Gwen Verdon (who he cheated with and cheated on) should be interesting.

• Members

More on the NYCB/Peter Martins situation.  Apparently, Martins has used the fact that NYCB never fully pursued the misconduct allegations investigation to its ultimate end to keep a foothold in the company's performances.

Peter Martins Left City Ballet a Year Ago. But He’s Not Entirely Gone.

An artist should be allowed to retain artistic control over their work but when the person has abuse and misconduct charges over them, like Martins, they should not be allowed contact with any of the dancers onsite.  The fact that he's been allowed to enter the backstage while the dancers are still there strikes me as ridiculous.  Martins could easily give notes to the current ballet master/artistic director for NYCB Mr. Stafford and Stafford, in turn, could relay these notes to the dancers. 

The casting issue seems like a very dicey proposition.  If Martins feels that one of the dancers cast in one of his works needs replacing, NYCB should require that he provide demonstrable proof as to why a replacement is in order.  If the dancer had been in the principal role for several seasons and all of a sudden he wants to replace the dancer, that smacks of retaliation.

I am curious as to how Sarah Jessica Parker feels about this, seeing as though she personally worked with Martins on a series of ballet videos for at-home use (I was gifted one video and worked out with it for several years--I still own a copy).  She is also on the board of directors for the NYCB.

• 4 weeks later...