Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Did any of SSM's 10-12 actors make it into opening credits? I FF through opening, but I don't recall ever noticing Scott, Ravi, Tessa, Juliet, Zach, Jordan, Reed, Mattie, Charlie, etc. 

I'm glad they're not really hiding MO's pregnancy too much. She looks amazing. I imagine Scott will 'save' her thought the better choice would be to empower female characters to get out of bad situations without a man's help. 

I hope Jordan's exit torches Nelsea, but maybe he's gone already. 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is going to seem like sacrilege, but I actually kind of dug Friday's episode. I felt the Abby/Victoria rivalry as real for the very first time, and I think AH could be plausible as a miserable bitch villain as opposed to the harried, pent-up sadsack she was playing under SSM. That line where Victor said "Abby will get over it" and Victoria replied, "Or maybe she won't. And that's fine too." I thought that was chilling. 

Marla Adams is just a hoot. Loved her shivving Nikki.

Yeah, it was messy and a little batsh!t and not very Y&R, but for the first time in a while, I felt the show had drive, momentum, and energy. 

• Members

The Dina stuff is way too rushed to be effective. She goes from credible executive to stabbing people virtually overnight? It makes no sense.

So Ravi's disappeared, Graham's been banished and Juliet's dead. Which recurring character is gonna exit next?

• Members

No. Unlike some lint, you are coming with a point of view that makes someone reading it want to peek in at the show since you are touching on plot ideas that I personally liked, not to mention characters, and backing it up with specifics and proof, not ONE DAY RATING nonsense.

Everyone has a right to like what they like and have an opinion about it.

• Members

Well this is prob the most consequintiel phase of the show since Will Bell made the trans from the Brooks/Fosters to the Williams (WillYUMS if we are talking about paul )/abbitts. Im so grateful we have a strong leader like mals.

ps has anyone noticed that mals could be the twin brother of stefanie forrester?

• Members

I haven't watched complete episodes but I've been more compelled to watch I have to say. Not saying I love everything but I feel the show has some energy again, there's movement in some things, the dialogue isn't awful. It's not awful. But shock value plot points can only carry you for so long. We'll see in a few months what Mal's really made of as a writer. Right now, wrapping things up and throwing the boring newbies under the bus is guaranteed to be a bit more engaging and interesting. 

I really enjoyed Jordan vs. Hilary and the involvement of Phyllis in it. Hilary and Phyllis work OK for me as friends. Juliet as Hil's friend would have worked better though.

I'm not loving Dina the loon because of her illness, I hate seeing Dina being used like this, but Marla Adams sure can sell it. I guess Graham must have been keeping her medicated and now that he's MIA she's off her rocker again?? And LMAO at her stabbing Nikki! That was so not necessary but I was LOLing.

Paul is SO damn unlikable as Chief of Police. He seems so miserable all of the time. This role does not suit him. Doug Davidson reminds me of Michael E. Knight in his last few years at AMC. Just checked out and unhappy.

Billy and Cane living together with Juliet had some promise. I'm pissed they offed Juliet but I can't say I didn't see this entire scenario coming. Why can't they ever put the final nail in the Lame coffin? Lawd. I agree that Hilary and Cane could actually have some potential. Goddard is passable with her, but then the drunk crying at the door, he loses me again and I'm reminded he's still bad and often looks like he's smelled a fart when he tries to look a certain way while in a scene.

I REALLY like Victoria being the ice queen bitch she should be. Victor did Abby bad though, lol. She was SO excited he was throwing a party for her but then he made it about Victoria. LMAO. I loved it. And then they had Crystal outing Zack. Heh. Wasn't Abby's night ... Victor: "she'll get over it". Victoria "Or not. And that's fine too" Heh. YES! lol. Too bad it's Heinle in the role.

It's interesting that while I thought, at times, Sally was writing Victoria as if a real actress like Heather Tom was still in the role, but Mal has made Victoria how she really should be, IMO. Let's hope it keeps up. I'm tired of the pathetic at business, falling on her knees for Billy Victoria.

Beth Milstein was in the writing credits for 11/10. Glad to see her pop up again.

• Members

Man i felt so bad for Abby. Victor is the one who suggested the damn party for Abby and then immediately changed it. Why exactly does Victoria have such a low opinion of Abby? I get Abby’s jealousies and insecurities because of the other two Newman kids but I don’t understand why Victoria hates her. Her last line was perfect and some of Heinles best work. 

Glad to really get some movement with the sex ring story. I’m curious what Zack plans to do with Abby. I just don’t see kidnapping Victor Newman’s daughter as a good idea.

Hate that Dina has lost her damn mind but Marla is killing it.

The show is definitely faster but I don’t mind it. I do wish there was some soapy music though.

• Members

Abby's been such an annoying twit for as long as I've been watching, but I was actually rooting for her and wanted her to slap the sh!t out of Victoria. And for the first time I was mad at Victoria for being a bitch and not mad at Amelia Heinle for sucking the life out of a scene.

The scene with Zack/Abby/Scott was a bit of a mess, though. (There's something off about Daniel Hall, but I see why Mal likes him with his Poldark hair.) I loved Crystal taking the mic and announcing that NE was bankrolling the sex ring. A much more high-stakes moment than Hilary admitting to tripping Mariah at the New Year's Benefit.

• Members

Oooh, that's what MY was talking about in his Novemeber Sweeps article.  I'm give him this: THAT is a scandal.

Nice attempt to be fresh.

Fails at the end so simply lint.

Please register in order to view this content

You are making me want to tune in...

• Members

I always knew AH could play a cunning, cold bitch on wheels..but the show chose not to write Victoria like that except on a few occasions.  I give Mal Young props for recognizing that.

Do you guys think Juliet dying was what SSM had in mind, or was that Mal young?  I think having Juliet stay alive would have generated some natural conflict for lily/cane..and I thought SSM slow pace worked on the lily/cane marriages issues and pending divorce especially their counseling sessions where Lily called out cane on his past mistakes and her always expecting to forgive him, yet he had trouble forgiving her for cheating one time.  

Dina better not be written out...british soaps usually treat their veterans characters especially older actresses better then the US...coronation street with all their flaws have a handful of older actresses featured  quite a bit...but Dina should be written as a shark in the boardroom and trying to deny she's getting older..and all three of her kids still resentful of her leaving them yet trying to forgive in their own ways.  

Chelsea tied to jordan...hmmmm interesting.  SSM didn't end chelsea/Nick but she didn't really feature them either so it's not a plus nor a minus in her performance as headwriter.

• Members

Mergeron was  a cosmetics company for years. And Dina wanted to retire and get out of business, which is why Devon and Neil bought Mergeron.  So they buy companies and don't run them?  And then Dina goes back to work (even if it's her family) - anyway? She needs to sell her business to stop working but then works anyway?  It's so stupid. 

Archived