Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched Friday's show.

I don't see where this supposed hectic pace is. The pace was similar to SSM's, especially the fact they put together that silly event for Victor to make his announcement. That's the thing they always do to make their story impactful. 

I thought the episode felt lifeless. Where's the 'energy' everyone is talking about? I thought the show had a decent beginning, decent ending, but the middle was not a crescendo -- it was just a constant ping-ponging of character interactions. It felt like it went on forever.

Mal seems to be directing actors to have more blatant and glaring facial expressions, much like they would do in a theatre. No subtlety allowed.

Having watched executive Neil Winters in action, it pains me to see him reduced into a glorified PR person. However, Kristoff is playing the heck out of it.

Sorry I don't see any chemistry between Ashley and Neil.

Dina stabbing Nikki was funny for all the WRONG reasons. @DramatistDreamer was right, they are going the Sharon route with her. It's embarrassing.

Cane explaining all his feelings and his entire phone call with Juliet's father to Lily, word by word, felt like too much. Again, no subtlety allowed.

I honestly can't stand this Noah. He is direction-less and the actor is too old.

I like Abby and Victoria's rivalry. MO has grown on me.

All in all, decent episode. Not that different from SSM's era IMHO. However, I get the impression Mal couldn't play out good drama if it hit him in the head. We'll see.

• Members

I CACKLED when Dina shanked Nikki and ran off faster than FloJo at the Olympics!

Please register in order to view this content

I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be funny...but it was!

Whereas SSM dithered (a lot!), MY is leaving details by the wayside as he zooms these stories to a conclusion.  SSM was very micro, MY, at the moment (maybe that will change) appears to be macro-- he isn't much for the tiny details and nuances.

And as a theater person, I don't know what theater you're talking about @Aback but my plays are all about nuances and subtleties.  Perhaps you're talking about musical theater and Noel Coward plays, perhaps even an Edward Albee play or twoo? 

Anyone mugging during one of my monologues is going to get the hook, right off the stage!

• Members

To me the writing and show isn't organic at all.  Old Woman Dina is Old Woman about town.  She's at Underground starting fires.  She's cuttin' people.  Her laptop is the one that got hacked or something.  She's here, there, everywhere.  If you're going to stretch a story to do that, why wouldn't it be with Jill?  I guess I'm glad it wasn't Jill because Dina was really minor, in my memory of the Y&R I watched.  Dina was really minor over Y&R history.  Now she's in the back of a car, now she's the GILF with Graham, now she's running up and down the street in bedroom slippers.  Who knew how close Underground was to the Abbott house? 

Archived