Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has YR seen this much rating growth in such a short period of time? Mals is working miracles. Im crying and emotional bc my yr is back. another top cable 150 for mals.

145. YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, T. POP. 7:00 PM60. 0.05. 517

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-thursday-cable-originals-network-finals-11-9-2017.html

• Members

Did I miss the fallout from Ashley's paternity revelation?  I always thought it was pointless to reveal it but all these soap press articles talked it up as if it was going to have some big ramifications going forward but it seems to have been forgotten as soon as it happened.

Looks like Ashley's daughter will take her place with the scandal headline. Wonder how long this fallout will last?

• Members

I don't mind Neil running his OWN PR company. PR is huge right now, and I can see Neil being bored of the corporate world.

Also, I'm PISSED that Juliet was killed off. I was enjoying the actress and the end of Lily/Cane, definitely a misstep for me by the writers. Juliet could have been a really good character, and if they didn't write Hilary so inconsistent they could have had a great friendship there too.

Edit: Just finished Friday's show - that was MUCH better than the auction episode. The actress that played Abby was also really good - they're starting to direct her better. I've noticed the same thing with Cane. Play to their strengths, hope it lasts. Overall enjoyable episode I'll say

• Members

That would be amazing! I'm also glad the pace picked up - as long as it doesn't become outlandish I'm good with this.

Again, so much criticism and annoyingly over praise of Mal who just started from 2 posters. I think both sides need to chill, and understand that both are coming off as insufferable. I also feel that those who have lost their soaps are looking for ways to just hate on Y&R and disguise it as caring about the show, when the motivation is to see it fail and scream "I told you so."

Oh and also how do you NOT know what Newman and Jabot does after decades? That's just silly nitpicking now

• Members

I've enjoyed this whole week. I'm not surprised the ratings are up because the show actually gives you material that makes you curious enough to tune in the next day as opposed to boring dinner parties where nothing happens or angst from a 10 year old ingenue 

Hilary getting the one up on Jordan and Phyllis helping her do it was hilarious. He's definitely not long for the show though.

I'm glad the Victoria vs Abby feud is back in play, SSM really wasted the potential there so I'm glad Mal circled back. Agree with @StepBack that Melissa O did good work on Friday's show. Victoria was such a bitch in there confrontation and I loved it 

Please register in order to view this content

Personally I like Neil working in proximity at Newman but under his own terms. Only problem is we already know he's not going to actually get his own story in this setup

The Dina wackiness is oddball but I love how MA is playing it and her take downs of Gloria and Nikki  (literal in Nikki's case) were fantastic

I'm glad Crystal is back and loved the way she delivered the death knell to Zack/Newman.

I liked the Cane and Billy scenes this week as well (except for the drunk whining on door steps, my God DG continues to be horrid) but them killing off Juliet is so weak. I hate when soaps drop these straggler bastard babies off on established characters. I wanted Lily and Cane to be over, now she's going to end up stuck mothering his non factor child 

• Members

I think that as long as posters are being respectful of their fellow posters, even while disagreeing, it's perfectly fine to "nitpick" and critique the show.

I think its silly to repeatedly try to stifle people from posting their opinions and assessments.  

You have to be careful of telling anyone to chill, I tried that a couple weeks ago and nearly got my head bit off (verbally anyway).

Please register in order to view this content

I don't think people really like being told what to do around these parts.

I can understand in a way, though, that people will never like someone telling them how they should express themselves.

A few months ago, someone screamed at me ALL IN CAPS. I just hit the ignore button and posting has been great ever since.

I also think its a bit of a reach, almost a low-blow to state that anyone who is critiquing or "nitpicking" is doing so because of bitterness of a canceled soap.

Me personally, I grew up watching two soaps. As The World Turns and The Young and the Restless. In fact, I have earlier memories of seeing Y&R, probably because the stories moved a bit slower and I could take them in at a younger age but I thought both soaps during their heyday were great entertainment.

I'm a writer, I've had my work critiqued and I've had to critique the work of others, it's what I do and I won't apologize for it, or change it. Any writer who had done any work that's been exhibited in a public space has had his/her work critiqued. It's all part of the process of doing the work. One cannot be so thin-skinned about it.

I doubt any of the writers at Y&R are going to be wounded over critiques on a messageboard.  I can't figure out why anyone else would be. (*shrugs*)

Archived