Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I keep forgetting that Reed is Noah's cousin. It just makes the 'breaking in' (even with keys) more silly. Good grief. Yeah, it's irresponsible - they weren't going to raid the bar, which would've been better had all the kids been drunk - but it's also different when your uncle and cousin own the place. 

It's just laughable that Cane passes judgment on Reed. At least Lily has a better perspective that teenagers do stupid stuff but she's still young enough to remember.

The face mask reveal was wrong. I don't get having Billy lead the witch hunt with Victor no less only to be the one responsible. That's not a twist - zero foundation and done purely for shock value. 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fire was poorly done, but I have to admit there were some good scenes. Victoria/Victor, Nick/Victor, Lily/Cane/kids, Jack/Billy - it's a nice transition from here on now. I hope there is more to the face mask, I was hoping it would be Phyllis

• Members

Today's episode draaaagggged.  

I guess those scenes with Jack and Billy were there specifically to force them to make amends-- I guess when one or both think they might die, it's a chance to quickly quash the beef between them--and it seems obvious that MY is trying to hastily wrap up existing storylines to get on with his material and he doesn't give AF how it gets done so as long as it gets done!

Please register in order to view this content

Did anyone else hear that barking dog outside of the Ashby residence? It struck me as a comical nod to the reality of neighbors with yapping dogs. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny but I found it to be the case.

Increasingly, I get the feelings that the show will soon revert back to old battle lines of the Abbotts vs. the Newmans and that Y&R will also soon become more focused exclusively on the male characters driving storyline again. I'm hoping that the female characters will not be marginalized, as they have been in the past but it's the sense that I am beginning to get, in terms of story direction.

• Members

Ok, so clearly I haven't made good on my vow to never watch Y&R again because I just wanted to see for myself how this show was doing. I saw Wednesday's episode.

Camryn Grimes is a gem. I'll be a total stan for her. She sold the hell out of Mariah's scenes with Sharon (awesome subtle work from SC, too), and I'm actually going to disagree and say that Cait Fairbanks actually stepped it up for her scene with CG. No, I don't think she's awesome, and granted, I missed a lot of Y&R over the summer (when the complaints here really crescendoed for her), but I'm not bothered by her so much.

The Jordan/Hilary sparring scenes were popcorn-worthy, and Jordan got in some *really* cutting jabs. "You're a joke, Hilary. You're all hairspray and nail tips."

The other stuff with the Degrassi brats and the burning club and Cane/Billy I could have done without. 

• Members

Friday's episode was one of the worst in Y&R history. I just have to say.  The Billy scenes were embarrassingly bad. Horrible acting by all; not even the vets could pull off the ridiculous pacing and dialog as written by Mal Young and his team.  There were other ways of having Billy and family come together in love and kumbaya.  But writing a bunch of hapless fire officials standing around pointing a flashlight at Billy, then letting Jack go in.  I felt so bad for the actors.  I think we'll see Y&R hit new lows.  Mal's version of the show, the lighting, the poor casting (Scott, Charley, Zack, Ravi etc.).....it's all a house of cards right now.  

• Members

The bottom line is that this is a business and the SSM thirsty-desperate women, Faith!, Victor classical, etc. just doesn't work. Slow pace and nothing episodes don't work when many people have been conditioned to binge watch prime time series where a lot happens. I have no objection to using stunts and gimmicks, IF the surrounding story resonates - build-up and then fall-out. 

Aunt Jack going into TU was ridiculous, but I will say at least the scenes between Jack/Billy were better than they have been in months. There are a lot of logic issues with the show (like Jack making sound like it was a long drive to TU when somehow Dina managed it at night in her slippers). But I'm willing to overlook figuring MY is cutting to chase in reset. 

• Members

It’s funny, I liked SSM a bit but I totally forgot just how much Faith we were beat over the head with and the redeeming of Victor. That [!@#$%^&*] was rough.

I really enjoyed the Billy/Jack scenes. I personally understood why Jack resented Billy still but it was nice to see his heart come through in those scenes when he was concerned for his brother.

Already yawning at yet another Newman/Abbott war.

• Members

Me too, good lawd, and you know Ashley will end up taking a backseat as it will be Victor vs. Jack part 200!

I guess it doesn't matter to ask that if Brash and Sassy is going back under the Newman Umbrella that Fenmore's should go back to Lauren and out from under Jabot because I get the sense that nobody in the writing regimes gives AF about Lauren.

• Members

Exactly - if the show has substantive solid scenes in between OTT stunts, etc., I'm good with that. I was really liked the Mariah, Hilary and, shockingly, the Cane/Twins (before the party) material. Even the Lane post-fire scene was spot-on.

There has to be a way to create a hybrid Prattastophe and SSMzzz, especially with Y&R which has dozens of beloved vets, a ton of history that is on canvas, etc. 

The show still needs to address the under 40 male issue - Scott/Zach/Jordan/Ravi just haven't cut it. Scott may be salvageable only because he is a legacy, but the other three need so much work that they might as well start over. Noah, while present again, has been a supporting-supporting character for Nick and Tessa. 

• Members

SSM's tenure was just a missed opportunity to show that a more moderately (not glacially) paced Y&R could work in today's environment. If it actually seemed to be going somewhere or building toward anything at all...it might have worked. 

I wonder if MY was just giving SSM enough rope to hang herself so he could swoop in and completely own the vision of the show.

Archived