Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

LUVVING the Dena and Gloria confrontation. Such soapy goodness from Mals. This is light yrs more fun from what Sally did.

PS Mals needs to bring back the rest of Jabot sets like the boardroom. Not everything needs to be in Jack’s cramped office. The boardroom would make more sense as an active work place. not eveyone sharing Jacks office. 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But what does Winters - whatever the company name even do?  They bought Dina's company - Mergeron or whatever.  What do they even do?  For him to go do PR for Newman would at least mean they're doing "something".  Until now, Neil and Devon have had a company that does nothing.  Are they cosmetics?  Petroleum?  Fashion?  Consulting?  What are they?  Devon and Neil don't even have a building or an office that I've seen.  These "companies" on soaps have been a joke for a long time.  What does Newman even do?  They do it all.  Cosmetics, Pharmaceuticals, Construction, etc. etc. etc. 

• Members

WTF?

Please register in order to view this content

What happens next week? Victoria falls off a cliff? A serial killer kills a single victim each day from Monday to Thursday and is revealed on Friday? A different car accident every week?

Soooo sad.

• Members

I have to admit, I'm enjoying the show again. There's more energy, and stories are moving forward. Everything Dina is fantastic. I wish the actress was brought back years ago, she would have had an Emmy by now

EDIT: I REALLY HATED Paul saying that Abby's boyfriend did not "fit the profile" of the crimes Scott accused him of

• Members

The energy is certainly different and I can see how it’s new iteration would attract (new) viewers or bring some back. The ‘shock’ factor has been upped meaning people would want to tune in to see what happens next. But, unless Mal Young can find ever increasing ways to actually follow through on these hooks (thus potentially burning through story with this pace) then there is a risk they start to mean nothing. See James E. Reilly and those who have followed in his mold.

I’ve been made aware of a post in the previous thread that specifically asked me how (certainly the first few episodes of) the show resembled a British Soap and which one?

My answer is this. The pacing of British soaps (and Australian soaps) is a lot faster than the traditional pace of American daytime soaps. To achieve a one day, one episode format, scenes are either shorter and snappier or scenes maintain ‘normal length’ but end in one go, allowing characters to leave the room they are in. Thus creating the effect of constant movement. Both of these are in effect. 

That allows time to shift, as it were, at a quicker pace. I would post episodes of British soaps to illustrate this point but they can be found all over the internet. 

Also, conversations and beats occuring off-screen to move the story along. So rather than character A saying to B “I’ve got something to tell you....” and then saying what it was on screen, the reaction and building anger detailed on screen, often you either have the comment made and then you jump to the fall-out (see the set-up to Lauren and Sharon’s argument a couple of weeks ago) or the ‘offending comment’ is made off-screen as well. My interpretion is that the viewer “knows enough about the character to guess how they would initially react and we’ve only 22-27 minutes to tell a story here”. But we’re so conditioned to it that it doesn’t seem like we’re missing anything, as the beats and detail we get and expect are different. It’s a different storytelling style and one that is largely alien to the US daytime model.

The stories are still the types being told on US soaps (or by certain writers) but are being done using a U.K./Australian model. That’s the best way I can explain it. 

• Members

Victor is the same man that has been giving his son millions and all he does is work at a run down bar.

That's why both of his children are failures.

And Nick is letting his son Noah become a failure too. Owning a bar when he could be doing so many other things..

Yikes.....I wouldn't mind the Victoria thing but you know she ain't going nowhere.

Archived