Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's ridiculous.  

MY has turned Dina into a cartoon character, a "crazy old lady" running around town starting fires, cuttin bitches and hiding out in the backseat of random cars.  GMAFB.

The Dina story under SSM was fascinating (for the most part).  Now it's a side show.  

I suppose there are people enjoying this version of Y&R but I don't get it.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It really hasn't gotten "trashy" or "bad" yet, IMO. We're not at Pratt or the worst of MAB yet. So far it's more LML, which, no, isn't good, but I'm not writing it off quite yet. Of course, those wanting classic Y&R will find it bad and not the same show, which I get. I don't know that I love it yet but I haven't been turned off yet, the Dina story needs to change or that could be what turns me off.

But the Dina stuff right now is the worst. Such a shame this is what MY decided to do with her.

I can understand why some find it all a mess, and I guess it kind of is. But things feel like they're happening, and the boring stories are being brought to a conclusion so there's a bit of momentum that's been lacking for the last year. The only real story with any stakes or momentum under Sussman, IMO, was the Cane/Lily/Juliet drama, the sex, the harassment suit, etc.

Like Sussman, I've find some things I can appreciate, like Victoria being an ice queen, and Nick's ugly ass dive bar burning to the ground. Can Dina torch the Newman Ranch too please? What an ugly set. I'd also be fine never seeing Chelsea's apartment again. I'd love to see the GC Buzz/Hilary Hour set be reused as something better than the local TMZ ripoff headquarters.

Do I think the show will be better off in the long run with Mal at the helm? No, probably not. I'm not enjoying most of the women hating each other and being catty. It reminds me of the UK soaps where women seem to hate each other and are constantly yelling and/or crying.

• Members

This doesn't work for me because it came out of nowhere.

The character is supposed to be an ice queen but she's been a baby obsessed psycho for nearly a decade & a half.

Even in this current love triangle she's been reduced to an insecure third wheel who can't keep her business afloat without the help of men.

It's like Paul going from competent GCPD chief to huge jerk overnight or Dina suddenly stabbing people and setting bars on fire.

• Members

Billy hanging off a balcony ledge outside of Phyllis' window after she kicked him out the night before, rings of RomCom material.

Nikki crying out in pain after Dina cuts her with a knife doesn't ring of RomCom. I really believe MY wanted the impact of that scene to be serious. In fact, I think the entire sequence from Abby's moment being usurped by Victoria, to Crystal's declaration of Newman's part in the sex ring to Nikki's stabbing- were all meant to be taken seriously.

My guess is that SS didn't want to burn any bridges behind her, even if that meant omitting the less positive parts of her job. You never know when you may end up working with someone who was a part of that writing regime.

Ask again in a few years, SS might be in the mood to spill. Or maybe she's saving it for the post-retirement biography.

Please register in order to view this content

I tend to take a good deal of what those daytime showrunners say in the blogs and soap opera magazines with a grain of salt.  All conflate expectations at times by downplaying any existing problems while boosting the positives, i.e. how they plan to make the show "better than ever". 

The genre is dying (at least this iteration of it, serial drama will never really die) and no one is going to offer a brutally honest assessment by telling it like it is.  No one.

• Members

Yesterday's show was horrible. Writing and acting. But I imagine it's HARD to act out that kind of writing. For example, Sharon, Nikki, Ashley, Abby. Completely dumbed down in one episode. So many beats were missed during the episode of the sex ring reveal. I am just at a total loss for more words.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Sharon's drape earrings deserve their own Twitter account or at the very least, their own postal code. Despite the earlobe distractions, her scenes with Nick were great today. 

It's about time someone told Victoria to shut up. Good for Ashley! Because Victoria is the perfect picture of an outstanding citizen, employee and significant other? She's so threatened by Abby. It's kind of sad.

• Members

135. YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, T. POP. 7:00 PM. 60. 0.06. 531,000

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-monday-cable-originals-network-finals-11-13-2017.html

Well Khan plenty of viewers heeded the advice of Mals to come on in yesterday. These are the Pop ratings from yeyesterday. Clearly other people love to start their week with Mals and his take on Young and the Restless. These numbers are terrific

Archived