Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Didn't Sharon have a kid?  A boy she named Sully but then he became "Christian", and was with Nick?  Where in the hell is he?  And did anything become of his paternity?  Meandering, meaningless storylines.  No matter who has written this dreck in 5 years.  Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong.  Where is Christian/Sully, and the fight over where he is and who he's with?  Faith couldn't give 2 *ucks about where her own brother is when they show her...neither does anyone.

Did he die?  Sharon doesn't ask about him.  Nick doesn't take care of him or whatever.  Did he die? 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The way the storyline for Dina is playing out, it looks as if she is rapidly deteriorating.

In MA's interview, I got the impression that if anything, it would be a long and slow decline. Perhaps this was what she was hoping for, or maybe what SS had in mind but the fire, cutting Nikki  and the badly drawn clock all make me wonder whether Dina's illness will be accelerated now.

Christian lives with Nick and Chelsea.  He's mostly unseen though.

Nick believes that Christian is his son with his dead wife but biologically Christian is Adam's son.  Both Chelsea and Victor know the child's true paternity and are keeping the truth from Nick.

• Members

I'm wondering if Graham didn't have Dina on some sort of medication that kept her more in check.  His parting words to Jack were "good luck," so I'm assuming he knew exactly where things were going.  Of course Jack and Ashley didn't want to take her to the doctor that was treating her when Graham was around.  I know there is no reversing Alzheimers, but I want Dina around for a whole lot longer.

• Members

I love MA and she has been a true breath of fresh air on the canvas - with history and connections that not only were seen on screen, but also matter today. I really thought she was the perfect one to fill the void left behind by JC - she's a smart business woman, flawed, direct, sexually open, etc. Instead of making her a victim of the face cream or Graham poisoning her, MY has decided to use his personal agenda on this depressing story.

I started FF through the Dina scenes on Friday and intend to going forward. The last thing I want to see is a very viable character played by timeless actor driven into dust. And, what was the point of exposing the Brent Davis thing? That had been a closely held on-screen secret for 30+ years, only to drop it completely. 

• Members

I asked this question several times. I mean, I knew it's a question that would never get an answer but it's what I've basically been saying all along: there was no real, lasting fallout to how that story ended, so why even do it?  To show that it would have no impact, because no one really cares?  As a mere transition into another story? Any story could've done that.

The reality is that poor storytelling will be excused because many people are afraid that criticism will somehow lead to cancellation but what if criticism actually led to a better show?

• Members

There is a difference between criticism and just being negative, especially from people who don't even watch the show. I can critique the show, but what's the point if everyone else already nitpicks to death. Now we have another person going on about Sully and Sharon? Since when in the history of soaps have parents EVER cared. Phyllis did the same thing with Daniel. Vicious custody battle, and once story is over, no one cares about kid anymore and is rarely seen. Similar thing with Jill.

I REALLY wish they kept Juliet however. The character had no connection to the cast, but with the new writing for Hillary they could have worked so well as friends. To me that was wasted potential. 

For Zack, I actually dig the actor. However, he cannot be redeemed. Best to write him off. The worst thing is when a show realizes they actually have a good talent and go leaps and bounds to rehabilitate them (see Kevin Fisher) - and then that once complex character becomes boring and redundant. 

In terms of Dina, I really wish she didn't have Alzheimers. That's a tough story, but also one that hits home closely. It really needs to be told delicately, not like that silly sex ring. I will watch it, because I'm not going to miss some fine acting from Marla Adams and I've sat through worse character assassinations (although I wouldn't call this an assassination, but rather unnecessary). I was actually hoping they were going the depressed route with Dina, and the effects of loneliness with older people. That would have been more compelling.

With the Brent Davis secret, I like the way it came out. It made sense, and technically it's still a secret because a lot of people know but have not said anything.  It has the potential to add layers down the road, and I'm not of the believe that everything has to be addressed or spoken of right away once it's brought up.

Same here. People had criticized Neil becoming a PR person, but the guy owns his own PR firm. That's dope. And the fact that he doesn't take crap from Victoria is even better. I'm hoping this Neil keeps it up. Also, if Victoria is going to be on 24/7, I much rather they write to her strengths.

You know what, I liked Sally, but I think Mal is being beaten up too soon. He hasn't done anything egregious yet. Minus the fire/Juliet dying, I don't really see much else being plot driven. For months people were irritated with the Dina story, and now it appears that they've finally decided to unfortunately go with Alzheimer. 

Other than that, the show has been pretty character driven from since Sally left. Lauren being overprotective of Scott, Paul being clueless,  Sharon still strong willed, Mariah coming out.To Mal credit, some characters are actually better than before, namely Hillary and Victoria.

I also forgot that the Jordan/Hillary/Chelsea stuff was actually pretty good. Gives Chelsea some bite again, and hopefully ends that dull relationship with Nick.

• Members

I think I can get away with this as I suspect not many people on here will know this person but on the November 21st episode there is a cameo appearance from British stand up comedian Romesh Ranganathan. It’s a blink and you might miss it (unless you know who he is and it’s not quite ‘blink’)

I did get a chuckle out of seeing him.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I actually know who that is!! I saw him on a series of BBC specials about how the British deal with certain things like holidays that streamed on Netflix last year.

He was hilarious and I decided to check his Twitter to find out more about him. 

• Members

What was the point of hiring Naomi Judd to do the voice on Hillary's show to embarrass Jordan?  They could have at least had her appear...

Crystal's drive-by shooting and running looked like a cartoon sequence.

Beats like Abby/Scott deciding to set off sprinklers, escaping, going to the hotel, police showing up should still be included. Way too much gets lost in MY's Speed Racer version of Y&R.

• Members

Dare I say it but does Hillary officially have three friends now in Cane, Jack, and Phyllis? MM has excellent onscreen chemistry with all three.

I do find it hilarious that Nick has seemingly forgotten his girlfriend once raped his ex bro-in-law and is actually the mother of one of his nephews not through Adam lol

• Members

Yes, Hilary has friends. I just hope MY doesn't fall back into old habits by having Hilary betray either one. 

I don't know whether it's because I have a predilecton for older women, but I adore Dina. I really hope MY finds some way to turn this so that she can stick around. She fits well on canvas and has breathed new life into the Abbots. 

Archived