Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll take your word for it, but I could have sworn that Cane's short-lived painkillers SL was in October-November 2016. 

Please register in order to view this content

Image result for naomi campbell gifs

It's not that they don't just like it, they are AFRAID to show it. Especially anything Bill Bell related. That kind of class and mastery would show up the current writers and producers so horribly -- and especially CBS's management of this storied soap opera.

• Members

About the Thanksgiving episode,

Y&R should've tried Noah and Chelsea.  I don't know if it's so much their chemistry or the fact that Noah/Tessa and Nick/Chelsea are such flop pairings but I found that Noah and Chelsea's conversations seem much more animated and interesting than each's onscreen pairings.

I'm neutral on the scenes with the GC Misfits at the GCAC.  I guess it gives us a sense of what a "scene" with some of the characters might look like if the groupings been complementary.

On the other hand, it provided the few scenes of levity that were desperately needed to prevent the episode from going completely maudlin.

If I cared more, I probably would've complained about the absence of the Winters but meh.

I only hope MY doesn't try to use the problems of KSJ as a smokescreen as to why he couldn't include the Winters' at Thanksgiving. They could've easily explained Neil's absence by saying he needed to jet off to Paris to help with an emergency at Mergeron or some other newly acquired company.

Oh well.

• Members

The Thanksgiving episode was actually well done. Dina is still very much strong. Reminds me of Julianne Moore in "Still Alice." I'm actually surprised (not really) by the criticism, yet again. We have family, friendship, romance and yet all most can look for is negativity. The Y&R glory days were great, but I'll take what I can get of our great cast because once Y&R is over, it's gone. To still see Beth Maitland, Kristof St. John, Eric Braden, Melody Thomas Scott on screen after all these years is a treat in itself; even with all the nonsensical stories they still go out there and on most days try to give it their all. The stories are actually pretty good right now, but yes pacing may be a bit of an issue. However, the continuity in the cast, is what makes Y&R for some.

I'll admit Ravi being told to leave seemed weird, but given the circumstances it made sense. If Ravi stayed while learning Dina had alzheimer's then people here would say that was unnecessary. The key people for those scenes were in that room.

I have to say it again, but Victoria is so much better with the new writing. Abby too. I loved Nick/Nikki crashing the Thanksgiving festivities, and there scenes together were nice.

Minus the sex ring story conclusion, this has been a pretty solid week for Y&R.

EDIT: Please keep Phyllis and Hillary as friends. This works much better. Also, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, some people still have bills to pay so I can see a hair stylist taking a last minute appointment, especially from a friend.  

• Members

I appreciate your positive comments and your dismay at negativity. I really do. But you’re making excuses for some story decisions that just don’t wash — at all. 

Telling Ravi to leave didn’t make ANY sense because of the writing. Instead of a ridiculous joke of a scene, a few lines of dialogue could have gently handled his forced departure. 

Chelsea went to the Newman ranch for Thanksgiving dinner WITHOUT NICK? HUH??? Makes NO sense. 

Pretty solid week? We got only 3 new episodes, and that sex ring story conclusion was a dud. Friday’s show from the hated JFP era was the best ep of the week by far.

I love this cast and the cast continuity, too. They have nothing to do with the writing and pacing problems. I’m guessing they’re not happy with some of this storytelling and dialogue.

• Members

Did some checking to compare with other messageboards to see whether this board was as unrelentingly negative as some would have you believe and you know what?

I found that other messageboards were also critical in their assessment of current storylines, yet there were no attempts to stifle others' opinions.  Hm, interesting.

• Members

Even though I'm not a fan of Ravi (aka male Natalie), it was bizarre he was trotted out to get dismissed by Ashley and then having him at The Club, get invited to NO, but couldn't because he had to work the next day. Why bother? If MY doesn't want to try to flesh out his character, just have him disappear like Reed's girlfriends. 

• Members

Honestly you don't have to look too far away in time to find positive comments on our part. I think it was either June or July 2017, the show was on an upswing and the month thread went on for 50+ pages, not a miserable 21. Everyone was excited, even though the show was not what it used to be. So there you have it...

Archived