Y&R November 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cleaning house is one thing. Awful writing while doing it is another.

Ravi shows up for Thanksgiving dinner and they take his pie while telling him to leave? Who DOES this? You wouldn’t treat the newspaper carrier that way.

Chelsea goes to Thanksgiving dinner at Victor’s without Nick? Huh??? Just WHY? There’s no way in hell that happens in a well-written soap. And why isn’t her kid at the table with her? It’s all writing for convenience so Nick will show up later and see Chelsea. 

Phyllis got a haircut on Thanksgiving Day? Uh....ok.

Dozens of plates and 400 wine and water glasses and massive floral arrangements on that Newmandinner table — and not a bite of food except for sick looking pumpkin pie. The Abbots walked out of the dining room, apparently enjoying their meal off-camera. Looks like money was saved.

How cute that Mal remembered that Tessa and Nikki were friends. Of course it was a short throwaway scene, compounded by Tessa’s horrendous “acting.”

Jack announces a leave of absence? Yeah, that makes sense. Let’s burn through story.

• Members

I tuned into the Thanksgiving episode and while I appreciate that it decked the place out in some semblance of TG decor, things were really off. 

The most egregious [(c)TGVN] was Ravi getting kicked out of the Abbott home after a miscommunication over being invited. Who does that?? The Abbotts are rich with plenty of food, the dude is a colleague and he bought a pie, it looks SO BAD that they couldn't cover and invite him to participate. TG is about welcoming people into the home! And the Abbotts (especially Aunt Jack, who waxed lyrical, teary-eyed , for 5 full minutes about how TG means togetherness) always like to pretend they are gracious, generous and paternalistic with everybody. 

Phyllis getting a haircut (hack more like) 15 minutes into the show. No way would any beauty parlor be open on Thanksgiving Day. I don't care how connected Hilary is -- Anna Wintour she ain't.

Tessa is literally the wettest of wet blankets. But of course they had to shoehorn her in, along with Chelsea (wtf) at the Newmans. Nick & Chelsea still have zero chemistry.

LOL the leftover randoms of the show are given their own TG celebration at the GCAC. 

Please register in order to view this content

Mal didn't even try to make that awkward and hilarious.

Best of all was the promo for today's 'CLASSIC' Y&R episode... from this time last year. Cane getting addicted to painkillers for a hot second; Philly doing it with Jack STANDING RIGHT THERE. Actually, that looks like a fairly decent episode!

• Members

Yeah, the Ravi stuff was contrived. Of course, it's understandable that Ashley wouldn't want Ravi to be there with all of the tense, upsetting family drama surrounding Dina's illness. But a normal person, even a cold person like Ashley, would have hinted that something was going on (or texted him an apology afterward).

The herky-jerky editing bothered me. One moment you have Nikki and Tessa engaged in a deep conversation and then you have a jump cut and Tessa's saying goodbye to Reed as if no time had elapsed. It's just not seamless, and it doesn't work at all.

I found it weird that they didn't say it was a "classic episode" in the preview. I suppose they assume that most viewers know that they show old episodes on holidays, but I admittedly did a double take. Like why is Greg Rikaart doing the voiceover? When did Cane get injured again? Did Jack show up in New Orleans to catch Philly in the act? 😂

• Members

The version of Y&R that I saw did say "classic episode" in the voiceover, but I too did a double-take with the promo. It wasn't til I saw Gina Tognoni's longer hair that it clicked that this is an oldie (and by oldie, I mean November 22, 2016).

• Members

Personally, my problem with MY (and IMHO some others) would go something like this:

As a kid, my mother used to LOOOOOVE Y&R. So I knew of it. And remember things here or there. ('I'll get that Bitca Nikki' Veronica come to mind.) I never knew about BTS until I started interacting with soap fans online over the last hmmm....few years.

As a lurker here, people have mentioned a lot about how Y&R used to me and the BTS behind that. So it became very clear that KA was the Heir Apparent. And who has not wanted her to come back in some form to what she deserved and what WB wanted for his show.

So seeing her with SSM in action...while not perfect...was what I was used to. The conversations in the thread...especially after LA were excited. Aimless for some, I liked it because THE POTENTIAL WAS THERE. Alas, they did not have the time that people far worse writers than they had. It just bothers my head at that.

The fact that they producers can take the people who deserved to be there...the person who everyone knows SHOULD be there righting that ship with some help of course if they want something speedy even though what made Y&R Number 1 was its slow burn, its glamour design, its complexity...well, I look at everyone's recaps and SMH.

Like I believe I said in the October thread...there are some things that SSM started that I admit to being curious about. I was intrigued by the Abby/Victoria rivalry for example. And MY sounds like rather than dropping it...he's going to run with it. I liked the story because I found it (family rivalry) related. It is about time Victoria went back to being a Bitca...something that AH can play and I've always mentioned on here the scene she had when she found out about Brad/Sharon back then. AH sold that so I knew she had it in her to be ice. It was there under SSM's run, too, but I would credit her with bringing back businesswoman Victoria.

Sorry for the rant (bless my internet for holding up) but when the HA was in the building after a decade of being away and what people wanted or claim to want...it's just sad to see how many people apparently did not want KA back in any form at all. They just want mess.

And that is what anyone who is not what WB wanted would be....MESS.

• Members

I kind of recall except for big stories or events, Claire Labine’s GH often felt like one episode was one day.  They didn’t always pick up the next day with the same set of characters or carry over scenes.  There were exceptions - the culmination of the Maxie/BJ’s heart, the shooting at Luke&Laura’s house and Sonny’s apartment, etc.  She was a master storyteller though with an excellent EP and team. 

Archived