Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Serve their time"?  What "time" has Louis C.K. "served" besides having to walk around in public for awhile in a pair of dark sunglasses and a cheap wig?  Unless and until he does actual time in an actual jail, he won't be getting a pass from me.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The thing with Louis CK is the stories about him seemed to be an open secret. Many people were fine with it, and fine with his disgusting comedy routines (like the monologue he had on SNL), because they liked him and what he had to say. I think to them all of this was meant to be a rap on the knuckles for him, and now he has paid his dues. 

Seeing Michael Ian Black push this mindset just reminds me yet again of the hypocrisy of many of the so-called "woke" anti-Trump people.

• Members

I think our outrage would be more effective directed at our friends and acquaintances who would stay at show with Louis CK and give him an ovation.  It is all well and good to try to debate public figures, but jerks can come back whenever they choose. However, I wouldn't support it and I would shame anyone I knew who would choose to stay in that audience. 

These issues seem to be debated as if someone rather than the audience decides if we will tolerate this behavior.  I would much rather see people like this met with antipathy than antagony. 

I also think we shouldn't let the opposition name the movement.  It was originally called "times up" but those who wish to belittle a movement to a hashtag refer to it as "#me too".  I prefer Times-Up because it is a call to action not an identity which infers victimhood.  We need to remember the lessons of the pro-choice movement who for too long were referred to as pro-abortionists rather than protectors of a woman's right to privacy.

• Members

Times Up was not a movement but an initiative that was started to address the specific problems in the gender inequality issues in the entertainment industry. 

After criticism from some who thought it was too narrowly focused on what are considered fairly privileged women, the scope was broadened outside of the entertainment industry to incorporate women from other walks of live and in various levels of the socio-economic spectrum.

Me Too was a movement that was started in the mid '00s by Tarana Burke, a civil rights activist and it encompassed the marginalized, with an emphasis on sexual abuse and sexual assault.  Her movement was co-opted into a hashtag but the movement existed long before 2017.

The fact that there are folks who still don't know this is a crying shame.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That Farrow story just shows again how truly morally bankrupt NBC News is, and has been for a long time. 

Anyway, I saw this sad news a little while ago.Vanessa Marquez, who played a nurse on ER for several years, was shot dead by police. I'm putting this here mostly because she made the news last year when she accused George Clooney of blacklisting her over her claims of harassment.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/vanessa-marquez-er-shot-killed-police-1202923337/

• Members

She had been mentally ill a long time - she also appeared on Intervention - and I believed Clooney's fair-minded response to her claim. That said she shouldn't have been shot, pop gun or not. It's sad, I always liked her.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Every time I read about one of these cases where a mentally ill person is shot dead by the police after a concerned person calls 911, I can't help but think that if that were my loved one struggling, the police are the last people I would contact.  It almost never ends well when the police are involved.

It seems as if she may was having seizures as well. You can't convince me that this situation couldn't have been handled better.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Sadly, I can guess why Brown has been blocked in her career.  It's likely Moonves employed the "Harvey" method for punishing actresses who don't submit to his advances.

Speaking of which...what's the latest on Moonves? 

The focus on him seems to have dimmed somewhat. 

CBS might have be more institutionally flawed than even NBC, if that's possible.  

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of internal investigation of Moonves, or was that simply a delay tactic?

• Members

EDT:  I just started to peruse Sarah Joy Brown's TL and besides the fact that it got my blood boiling the lengths to which a misogynistic tyrant like Moonves will go to punish anyone who doesn't bend to his will but it concerns me how much someone of his level within CBS can reach down and mess with things, even a soap opera just to wreak vengeance.

I'm more convinced than ever that executives do indeed interfere with the soaps, even if it has nothing to do with their area.  It's what I've suspected for a long time but no one within the network system is truly autonomous, let alone independent.