Dancing with the Stars: Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m pretty sure that The Voice has usually led in the demos by a wide margin, since it skews a lot younger, but DWTS had usually led in total viewers. That didn’t mean much, but now ABC can’t even claim those bragging rights. (Of course, DWTS was many seasons in when The Voice premiered, so it wasn’t a buzzy show anymore.)

NBC will soon run into the same issue with viewer fatigue from too many Voice cycles. It’s still good at launching shows, as Manifest and New Amsterdam both have done well this season.

Edited by Costello

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Well, for ABC, Sean Spicer has accomplished the short-term goal of bringing a fading, nearly obsolete reality-competition franchise (that people forgot was still on!) back into the national conversation. The outrage, for now, has played into Disney’s hands. Whether there are any long-term repercussions remains to be seen. People are all verklempt about Marvel Studios losing Spider-Man to Sony. Maybe they should be talking about boycotting Marvel films instead.

I think it’s about two years too late for this to feel truly relevant. (Big Brother at least snapped up Omarosa when she was fresh out of the White House and had new “stories” to tell.)

If only people had ignored it...

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Imagine the uproar that could result from Spicer's winning the trophy.  (Not that I'm saying he will.  I think he won't make it through the entire season).  Bobby Bones' victory was a controversy; Spicer's victory, by comparison, would be a crisis.

• Members

Is Sharna the first pro winner not to be brought back the next season? Ouch ...

There has been swift pushback for Spicer but this is exactly what ABC wanted: everyone is talking about DWTS. EVERYONE. Even the guy in the White House. They LOVE it. We all know the networks love everything attached to Donald Trump because it does indeed bring in ratings and gets folks talking.

I also just simply don't like Bobby Bones. However I was not surprised when he won. Folks act so shocked but I've watched this show since Season 1. It's very typical of better dancers to go out (and "big names" usually don't last long) ....

I've been "over" this show for a few seasons now and I have even less interest now. Shame as I really enjoyed watching this and so did my Mom (one of the few things we both watch), but even she's lost interest over the seasons.

When GMA was hyping it all it just kind of fell flat to me. Meh. I don't think anyone cares anymore.

Shame the producers/ABC didn't listen to Bergeron. He's a smart man.

Edited by KMan101

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I wonder. If actors are being forced to stand eight feet apart, there’s no way two people can waltz and quickstep with body contact safely under the new production guidelines. I don’t think a new season can happen this year.

That said, I wonder if they’ll have a new judging panel as well. Of the three, I suspect Carrie Ann would be the one they’d most likely keep, being the youngest and a woman of color. But they may start from scratch. It’s still a valuable series for promoting all the Disney stuff.