Jump to content

Dancing with the Stars: Discussion Thread


GSGfan2017

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

By the way, the show premiered much lower than last year, 0.9 in the demo vs. 1.3 last year. Meanwhile, The Voice (with Ariana Grande as a new judge) had a 1.1, down only slightly from a 1.2 last year.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
26 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

By the way, the show premiered much lower than last year, 0.9 in the demo vs. 1.3 last year. Meanwhile, The Voice (with Ariana Grande as a new judge) had a 1.1, down only slightly from a 1.2 last year.

The Voice also had 2 million more viewers than DWTS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
23 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

The Voice also had 2 million more viewers than DWTS.

Which is also telling, yeah, because DWTS has traditionally had an older audience. Even the reliable senior-citizen crowd is bailing, and they’re losing the younger ad demos they’ve been so doggedly pursuing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, Faulkner said:

They so want those viral moments.

I don’t even understand why BAG and Sharna would *want* to dance together. Talk about potentially putting a strain on a new-ish relationship.

Maybe BAG wants to brag a bit, considering his ex Megan Fox is all loved up on Machine Gun Kelly everywhere you look.

 

I both understand and don't understand pairing Sharna and Brian. I like Brian but honestly I think Sharna could do better

 

And yup. They want those viral moments. When you think about it, a lot of shows seem driven by the desire to have 'viral moments'

26 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Which is also telling, yeah, because DWTS has traditionally had an older audience. Even the reliable senior-citizen crowd is bailing, and they’re losing the younger ad demos they’ve been so doggedly pursuing.

 

Yep. 

 

My Mom loved DWTS. She watches The Voice now. Not even joking lol. I've never cared much for The Voice for whatever reason. It's interesting because I thought my Mom wouldn't like Tyra when she hosted America's Got Talent, but she did (Tyra was much better there IIRC) but yeah dumping Tom was a HUGE mistake. 

 

I believe ABC saw "an old white guy" hosting and Tyra was an appealing replacement. It just hasn't worked.

 

Now NBC has got him. NBC always picks up Fox and ABC personality's that are discarded. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
24 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

I both understand and don't understand pairing Sharna and Brian. I like Brian but honestly I think Sharna could do better

 

And yup. They want those viral moments. When you think about it, a lot of shows seem driven by the desire to have 'viral moments'

 

Yep. 

 

My Mom loved DWTS. She watches The Voice now. Not even joking lol. I've never cared much for The Voice for whatever reason. It's interesting because I thought my Mom wouldn't like Tyra when she hosted America's Got Talent, but she did (Tyra was much better there IIRC) but yeah dumping Tom was a HUGE mistake. 

 

I believe ABC saw "an old white guy" hosting and Tyra was an appealing replacement. It just hasn't worked.

 

Now NBC has got him. NBC always picks up Fox and ABC personality's that are discarded. LOL

Ariana is a nice addition to The Voice, but I’m kinda over that show. It’s always been about the celebs and their banter. Which works if you love the celebs and their chemistry, but it gets old, even with a new panelist every few years. The show I really love is Songland, with a panel of star songwriters like Ryan Tedder judging and workshopping songs with aspiring songwriters, who pitch songs for a different artist each week. It’s a great window into that creative world.

I totally agree that ABC saw “old white guy” with Tom, but they didn’t see the value in that particular “old white guy.” If they were aiming for a change, someone with more warmth (like a Nick Cannon or a Cat Deeley, who are great hosts on their Fox shows) would have been better. 

Last year, I remember Artem’s partner was injured, and he stopped by during the live show to chat with Tyra and update everyone on his partner’s condition. After the interview was over, Artem was just standing there while Tyra was introducing the next performance, and Tyra sorta scooted over so Artem wouldn’t be in her shot. That’s the kinda vibe I get from her.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
53 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Which is also telling, yeah, because DWTS has traditionally had an older audience. Even the reliable senior-citizen crowd is bailing, and they’re losing the younger ad demos they’ve been so doggedly pursuing.

I was hoping this would happen. SOrry but the changes they made with Tyra hosting and whatnot. They act like it's the Tyra Banks show when it's not.

Plus I doubt anyone is interested in seeing Lori Louglin's daughter dancing. ABC remains clueless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
41 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Ariana is a nice addition to The Voice, but I’m kinda over that show. It’s always been about the celebs and their banter. Which works if you love the celebs and their chemistry, but it gets old, even with a new panelist every few years. The show I really love is Songland, with a panel of star songwriters like Ryan Tedder judging and workshopping songs with aspiring songwriters, who pitch songs for a different artist each week. It’s a great window into that creative world.

I totally agree that ABC saw “old white guy” with Tom, but they didn’t see the value in that particular “old white guy.” If they were aiming for a change, someone with more warmth (like a Nick Cannon or a Cat Deeley, who are great hosts on their Fox shows) would have been better. 

Last year, I remember Artem’s partner was injured, and he stopped by during the live show to chat with Tyra and update everyone on his partner’s condition. After the interview was over, Artem was just standing there while Tyra was introducing the next performance, and Tyra sorta scooted over so Artem wouldn’t be in her shot. That’s the kinda vibe I get from her.

 

The Artem story sums her up perfectly. EDIT: Tom would have included Artem in his shot. Sums them both up. They have to see it. And truthfully I think they set up her BTS, but I have no tea on that. Just a hunch. Or she's just *really* bad. I tend to think the latter but she seemed fine on AGT.

 

Yeah, the show needs a host who can keep the flow and pacing and have some energy, personality and warmth. 

 

I also don't think they'd ever admit 'it was a mistake' as that would be bad optics. So they're likely 'stuck'. Or tone deaf.

 

They definitely didn't value Tom and what he brought. They had up until then it felt like. They found it 'old fashioned' (yet remained modern and timely) but forgot that was part of it's appeal. 

 

Ariana does seem like she has livened up The Voice. It's a good concept and I don't dislike the show (feels a bit overrated and I think any competition show shouldn't have two seasons a year - you burn out faster), just never really got into it.

Edited by KMan101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/22/2021 at 8:42 PM, amybrickwallace said:

At heart, DWTS always had some "old-fashionedness" to it. A big part of that was Tom. He made the hosting job look effortless. When they let him go, he took all the warmth with him.

On Bob Saget’s podcast, Tom Bergeron says he had a feeling that he was getting fired and that the show had become an unpleasant work environment for him in recent years:

https://people.com/tv/tom-bergeron-reflects-dwts-firing-after-28-seasons/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
22 minutes ago, Cat said:

@Soapsuds did you see their Pirates of the Caribbean themed Paso this past week? It was truly one of the best Pasos I have seen on these shows.

 

 

The U.S. version has a female same-sex pairing. I wonder if this side of the pond will ever have enough balls to pair two men for a season.

I love John’s YouTube cooking videos:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy