Y&R: September 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

They may have thrown the baby out with the bath water but at least the rubber duck remains.

Along with Minardi Slater and Ferri Esser, she's the last writer with any kind of link to the 'older' (short of saying 'classic') Y&R, with knowledge of the longer term characters and their motivations. So even if (as I expect) Mal Young has characters act differently, hopefully there is someone who tries to base it on a plausible character motivation.

I've stated (to the death of forum space and reader interest) the pros and cons of Mal Young's writing over the years, so while I'll keep watching when Oct 25th arrives, I don't think there will be any attempts to 'look back' writing-wise or stylistically. Do I think we're in for a Latham-esq retooling of the show? Probably not but I won't be surprised if more British soap sensibilities hit the show, with more than a dash of sensationalism.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly...the show for the most part forgets Nikki had a life pre victor...3 plus years in fact before she and he crossed paths.  Personally, the Dylan thing wasn't a bad idea...it was just the timing was off...it would have worked better had she had Dylan before she came on the show.  In fact, she came to live with Casey cause she was too wild...bit that would have required logic.

It's possible Nikki could still get involved but it's true she and Tessa developed a bond..and having Sharon not be too keen on her is just calling for a Nikki/Sharon scene dealing with that.

• Members

Something that would really work for the show (and me): Mariah discovers Alice is behind this ring and how she treated Cassie. Mariah goes to Hilary and asks her to join her in creating an elaborate Cassie haunting of Alice -bigger than the Victor sham  - since they have access to all that studio equipment. Hilary disgusted that young women are being abused, eagerly jumps onboard + they could create an amazing segment for THH. Together they bring down Alice, move forward as co-conspirators (and the end of Cassiah) and we can forget the past 9 months ever happened. 

• Members

Is that really a surprise? The first thing I noticed about SSM was her clear War on Women - every female character was reduced to seeking a man's acceptance, needing a man's help or approval, etc. It truly became evident with Jill groveling back to Colin after stealing from her. (That was when I first tuned out.) And it's continued all the way to Dina freakin' Mergeron 'needing' an out-of-work actor to help her in business.

The list is too long, but Jill, who clawed and climbed her way from nothing to working hard to become business executive is reduced to taking a grifter back? Dina, a sharp, savvy woman trapped by the confines of marriage, left her family to live her life on her own terms (and made a speciality of enjoying 'young men' for what they are), needs a man to help her? I'd love backstory that Dina pleaded with John to let her join Jabot and John rejected her because she should stay home to raise kids. I know that would tarnish the John image, but I'm certain that would resonate with viewers. 

• Members

Yup.  And they're all fighting over a man 

Please register in order to view this content

Or - in the case of the Phyllis/Hilary scenes, it's all about how to keep and fight for your man

I hardly pay attention to this shyt anymore.

• Members

That's been a problem for soap for decades. 

I don't mind a rivalry between 2 opponents over a man, but let's have some balance too. You don't ever see the men on this show (or any show) spew as much venom at each other as the women do over the opposite sex. Also, it would help some if we saw honest female friendships. They always tease it but pull the rug from under us at all times. 

What happened to Juliet and Hilary? I know I was in the minority, but I felt they could've been genuine friends. 

Sharon and Hilary?

Phyllis and Lauren?

Sharon and Chelsea? 

This is why I miss the P&G shows at times. While they had their numerous flaws, I always saw strong female bonds/friendships to each show's bitter end. 

• Members

I hated the subject of the Phyllis and Hilary scenes so much but Mishael and Gina work very well together and had great chem. I'd prefer them more as frenemies than friends but I found their genuine spark to be the only watchable part of the episode. 

Archived