Y&R: September 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FROM THE AUGUST THREAD...

Le sigh.

Anyway...I've backlogged so Hilary and Cane teamed up?

Wow at Alice...I was just thinking a few weeks ago that it would be nice to see TC back on a show...but wow.

Phyllis sabotaged her relationship the moment she tipped off Ben so reap what you sow.

AND ADDING...it was fine writing barring the interfence. But we will see.

• Members

I remember when the board was 'counting down the days' until SSM's material started airing. I wish I could get excited about setting my DVR for October 25, but since we've been told we will see SSM scripts as is until then, it will take weeks to reset the show again. 

Other than probably taping the episode where Alice will inevitably see Mariah for first time, it's hard to get invested in a story featuring three newbies (Zach, Tessa, Crystal), a recast of a long-dormant minor character (Scott) and a minor character (Alice) who hasn't been on canvas for 20+ years.  

Nothing else I read in recaps is even getting me to say 'I would've like to have watched that scene.' That's bad.

• Members

Oh you don't need to go that far back in time to taste the anticipation we used to have. Even a month ago the show was pretty solid. The monthly threads were on fire. It all fell apart pretty quickly. It's really sad now. And I'm not holding my breath for MY.

• Members

Yeah, I love Gina but she has been trying to overcompensate for some bad material by doing entirely too much. Child, if you don't calm down with the hand gestures, especially in the scenes with Michael and Lauren. The director should have reigned that in (but Y&R hasn't had a strong director in eternity which is why Heinle has been allowed to sleepwalk through all her scenes).

But having said that, I continue to think Phyllis and Jack scenes are some of the best and most tolerable on this show. I do NOT want them paired again, I honestly don't even think they fit anymore but they make such great and somewhat fun frenemies and scheming partners. Throw in Hilary and I'd probably rather watch those three scheme together than anything else even though there will always be dumb or shaky motivation for it and terrible dialogue. 

Apparently Sara Bibel has been given the title of "Associate Head Writer"...how do people feel about this?

• Members

It is great that Sara trained under Jack Smith and Kay Alden. She is also working with writers like Janice Ferri and Natalie Minardi who worked with writers from across the Y&R spectrum like Bill Bell, KA, JS, Jean Passanante, and Shellly Altman. I have faith that they can guide Mal.

• Members

Very true. Just thinking back to Nikki's benefit concert and I thought it was very well done. It had excellent cast integration, lovely wardrobe, and family drama. Even the post-concert scenes at the afterparty were solid. The concert may have been the umbrella, but there were plenty of storylines bubbling underneath. 

Now everything seems...well, for the lack of a better term, dumpster fire-esque. 

• Members

Weren't Nikki and Sharon supposed to be working together for some women's shelter some time ago?  If that story hadn't been unceremoniously dumped perhaps there would've been a way to incorporate Nikki if a young woman had showed up for a night at the shelter than mysteriously disappeared the next day after sending Sharon and Nikki distressing signals.  After not hearing from her for at least a week and not knowing what happened to her, they still could've had Chrystal contact Sharon by chance, through the hotline like two weeks later.

Sharon and Nikki have had good chemistry over the years, so it's a shame that Nikki is stuck with Jack instead of being in on this storyline. A missed opportunity.

Archived