"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow both episodes were really great! Yeah I like how they handled the Trump/Hillary stuff with Roseanne/Jackie.

Still don't care for Lecy's Becky, but Lecy looks good with long hair and the waves in her hair. What's up with her voice though?

Love Darlene, and Harris is a pretty good character as is Mark.

I hope they  tell us what happened to Becky's Mark, how he was killed.

DJ Married with a kid, wow lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Deadline:

I am pretty critical so I would put the first night at Season 7-8 level of quality - not bad, but not amazing, with some great moments and scenes and a ton of potential. There were some great biting lines but they also went with the obvious gag a few too many times. Sara Gilbert and Ames McNamara were the standouts, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are always excellent and Roseanne and Lecy were slowly finding their pace. Early stuff is always rocky with revivals so I hope it keeps picking up.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I thought it was  good, better than I expected for sure. It was nice to see people talking about some of the political issues of the day in a way that felt natural to these characters. 

It felt right to me that Dan and Roseanne both wondered why Mark would make his life harder just to dress a certain way. These are older people who life has kicked around, so of course that wouldn't make sense to them.  It was nice that they accepted it though.

I agree that Sara Gilbert is a bright spot. It's hard to see Darlene so beaten down by life, but it rings true.  When Mark told her no one played with him her reaction was perfect. You could see it cut her to the bone, but she rallied to make him feel better.

Becky's story line is silly.  I won't bother to pick it apart, but it had me rolling my eyes.  If they want to show us that Roseanne is pro choice than just have Becky, Darlene or Harrison in need of an abortion.

Jackie showing up in that p*ssy hat.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I saw a Ben Shapiro tweetstorm going around claiming the show/the media/Hollywood had an agenda in trying to say that Trump voters only voted for him based on economic issues and are socially liberal (he was especially upset about "a boy in a dress"). 

That makes no sense to me because the line from the right wing media is that Hollywood hates Trump voters, sees them as deplorables, etc. so I'm not sure why they would now change course (unless they think Hollywood is trying to brainwash and guilt Trump voters, which wouldn't really make any sense even for the pea brain mentality). It's oddly defensive posturing from a group who deep down can't face that a lot of people did vote for Trump based on the economy.

The irony is that Roseanne herself shares a lot of their views, but if they start in on her she won't hesitate to troll and hector them nonstop. And she has about 30 years on them in that department. 

• Members

I saw an alt right tweetstorm earlier about how this is all secretly an act on Roseanne's part to be 'subversive' and infiltrate them because of Mark Jr., D.J.'s black kid, etc. It's no act - she's just that contradictory in her feelings. She says and does repugnant things but championed the Mark character, giving D.J. a black wife and child and so on.

The hard and somewhat messy facts are, the show's gamble was correct as were Roseanne's own instincts about bringing it back, just as she had similar instincts about how the original show would go to #1 with or without the showrunner she kicked out in Season 1 (Matt Williams). It's done so well because both sides embraced it. Critics seem to like it, the left is very conflicted about it (as am I in some ways), and the alt right also seems increasingly confused the day after. They can't decide whether it's theirs or a false flag. The answer is it's for everyone - and produced by a very liberal production team and an openly gay showrunner, starring a woman who has made repulsive right wing gestures in recent years, days and hours - and that makes it messy. We can't pigeonhole Roseanne, for all her ugliness and behavior I think is reprehensible, like the thing with David Hogg the other day. But she's more than just that, and the show is definitely not alt right propaganda. It's not Last Man Standing.

I'm not saying we should tailor more entertainment 'for everyone' - I think that's a fool's errand, I don't have much stomach for it morally right now, and I think very few shows could successfully do that. I think this one could.

Edited by Vee