"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I would kill for Living Single to come back. But Erika Alexander is very busy these days with her comics work - not only her original projects and maybe some novels(?), but she is doing part of the Buffy comic revival as well with Joss Whedon, IIRC.

I also think Fox today remains pretty ambivalent on black material, even post-Empire.

I can't remember. I think it was Mark. D.J. she said got published or made a movie.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm sure David Faustino is waiting at the Fox lot as we speak. The rest of 'em, I dunno. Katey Sagal is still happily married to Kurt Sutter, Christina Applegate is doing fine in film and TV in her character roles and Ed O'Neill could well just be worn out of the grind. But it could happen, sure. Someone at the network has to be thinking about it this week. What's irritating is they'd never bother to roll out the same red carpet to Living Single, Martin or In Living Color (which they canned a revival of a few years ago).

• Members

I think the "Married...with Children" cast would be up for a revival, but only if Michael G. Moye were involved.  They never cottoned to the writer/producers who took over after he had left.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That is a good piece. And the truth is, too few folks on either side of the vocal online debate have actually watched it, or understood who is writing or producing it. Roseanne herself is the political outlier in that group. It is not right wing propaganda.

I understand and agree with concerns by Ira Madison or Roxane Gay about how the show potentially allows media outlets to play 'both sides' and go back to stroking the white heartland voter. I think that is a danger and if the show were ever to turn into Trump apologia I would drop it. I have mixed feelings about the whole push this week by cultural critics on either side. But I also think, honestly, that kind of responsibility is too much to put on any one sitcom. I think Roseanne is a complicated, messy show for a complicated, messy time. I see a lot of good and a lot of potential in it. I think making

Please register in order to view this content

is a shocking, bold choice and an impressive one. And I think everyone - even ABC, which cites it in an article above as part of their attempt to reconnect with the white working class post-Trump - is trying to fit into a left or right culture war box that the show just refuses to adhere to. Certainly Sara Gilbert won't. Maybe that's irresponsible today, I don't know. But I also think entertainment can still be allowed to be that while exploring either end of the divide.

I think Netflix's One Day at a Time is the modern, progressive heir to the original Roseanne. It's a little more frenetic and over-earnest whereas this show is dryer and more weathered, but it's quite good. And I think if there's room for ODAAT there is room for the more conflicted new Roseanne. And I would like to think both the new show and the lead actress will find their way to a clearer path. I think it is worth watching, for all of them, especially Sara Gilbert and little Ames McNamara, but even Roseanne herself, who seems like she is slowly finding herself onscreen.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm glad that a lot of the writers who have talked about the show (good or bad) have also recommended ODAAT, as I still feel like many are sleeping on it. I'm also glad that ODAAT has not gone too heavy into Trump commentary, even though they could have easily done so for headlines or approval. I agree that the early years of Roseanne have a lot in common with the ODAAT revival, especially with Penelope. The manic depression episode reminded me a great deal of Roseanne.