"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

So if this is the last season for Big Bang Theory as is being rumored, I wonder if JG will be on Roseanne in future seasons?

The Roseanne in this revival is one I like. She's not the c u next tuesday she became in Seasons 7 and on. That version was entirely unrootable and unlikeable.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I DVR this. I need to see it.

TBBT is still funny but it has run its course. I'd love to see David full time on Roseanne instead.

UPDATED with finals: ABC’s Roseanne reboot delivered premiere demo ratings we haven’t seen on broadcast TV in awhile. The first of the two episodes drew massive 17.7 million viewers and a 4.9 rating in adults 18-49. The second episode at 8:30 PM rose even higher to 18.6 million viewers and a 5.3 in 18-49. For the 8 PM hour, Roseanne averaged a 5.2 in 18-49 after an upward adjustment in the finals and 18.2 million viewers.

• Members

True. Look how far Will and Grace sunk. It's slightly better than the rest of the lineup now. But it's already renewed for two seasons lol.

I don't think ABC's gonna give up Roseanne. It has a broader appeal than Will & Grace, so at, the "very worst" (which isn't bad by today's standards) I imagine it would likely get a bit above what Goldbergs, The Middle and Last Man Standing used to average. But I'd love to see it get consistently high ratings. In the 5.0's? Probably not gonna keep up but who knows?

I wonder what Murphy Brown will pull?

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Finding out that she had a traumatic brain injury explains so much to me .  I think we could argue that she has a certain genius, but she is quite erratic.

I had become pretty hardened when it comes to Trump voters. Not sure how I feel about letting Roseanne soften me up, but I can deny that she does just a little bit. Overall, I think the show was pretty balanced. It's not everyday you see an older couple on TV trying to figure out how divvy up their pills, but there are a lot of people who have to do that.  I think it's good to see that reality.

• Members

IMO, Murphy Brown will be lucky to do as well as Will & Grace, let alone Roseanne. There several things I think don't work in its favour, despite it's pop culture peak with the Quayle debacle and a few seasons in the top 10 during its original run:

• There's nothing compatible with it in terms of comedies on the CBS lineup; You can argue ABC has created a niche with non-traditional family comedies, which Roseanne fits seamlessly into 
  • Murphy Brown was not a hit in syndication; Generations of people got exposure to Roseanne by watching a re-run, and while not as visible in syndication, Will & Grace has had a more accessible run than Murphy Brown has
  • Murphy Brown is naturally a more divisive show due to its innate and overt topical/political nature - you'll already have people who won't bother to check it out because of that
  • I know almost no one who was clamoring for a Murphy Brown reboot before it was announced; Roseanne and Will & Grace initially sparked talk because of fan interest after some actors appeared together for one-off things

I would be very surprised to see if that reboot generates the same type of interest. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I haven't watched Roseanne yet, but I'm looking forward to it once we're out for spring break.

Murphy Brown - I have to wonder who honestly thinks that it's a good idea to bring that back. I agree with all of BF's reasons for why it won't fare well, but for me, the biggest sign of failure is that no one has watched it since it went off the air 20 years ago. It might've been a hot topic at one point, but its characters and style have soooo not become major parts of pop culture in any way. With Roseanne, all you need is a two-second audio clip of Roseanne laughing or that familiar harmonica strain, and a million thoughts and feelings come rushing back. Murphy Brown has...Motown's greatest jukebox hits? I don't think even the people who watched its original run will tune in for this.

• Members

I never expected MB to do Roseanne numbers, but I never expected it back at all. I do think it has a very relevant place in the conversation today and I'll be happy to see it, but no, I don't think anyone should expect it to hit these numbers and if CBS does I think they're foolish.

• Members

I made the mistake of reading the Roseanne hashtag on twitter.  It amazes me how many people saw that episode as Pro Trump.  What? The Connor's can't afford their medicine. They are worse off than ever and so are their children.  Then Roseanne sticking up for Mark and affirming Becky's right to choose. How anyone really got conservative out of any of that I don't know. Roseanne looks like a fool for voting for Trump.

I didn't realize how off the wall real Roseanne is either.  I knew some of it, but I didn't know she was spreading the Pizzagate thing, attacking the Parkland kids and such.  It won't stop me from watching the show, but it is ugly.