"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The show does feel extra laugh-tracky, like a show within a show.

EDIT: That was actually better than I thought it would be. Everyone settled back into the rhythms of the old show so quickly. And the political stuff was handled relatively organically.

Those first two episodes were great. They really captured what was fantastic about the show at its peak. And Sara Gilbert was the MVP.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I loved it. Really enjoyed it. So many hilarious moments and it really captured the old feel of the show. It was just natural. It made sense. The Jackie/Roseanne political fight was funny and not overly pushy. Their makeup was classic Jackie/Roseanne makeup.

Jackie's "JOURNEYS" was hilarious. Laurie was fabulous and isn't playing a cartoon, so that's a relief. Sara was great.

The characters all felt in character to me. Kind of strange to see it in HD but I loved it.

Oh and even though the name wasn't mentioned I liked they used Miss Crane as Mark's teacher, I liked the nods to Jackie's time on the force, I like that they had DJ marry the black girl he wouldn't kiss (Gina).

I'm hopeful we get more seasons.

• Members

I enjoyed tonight's two episode premiere. It was very warm and familiar. The acting from the cast was very natural. I thought that the episodes had a nice mixture of comedy and some drama.

I don't care for Becky's storyline but I am enjoying most of the storylines so far. I am looking forward to learning more about DJ and his family.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I wonder if Sara being there from the competetion threw off the women of the View.

With that said, Sara was the MVP!  Who knew Darlene would be the responsible daughter LOL

Jackie was toned down, but she's the perfect example of family enmeshment and how unhealthy it is.  She was typically blaming Roseanne for her voting for Jill Stein instead of taking personal responsiblity.. yet she's a life coach?  I had looked into being a life coach years ago and one of the requirements was going to an actual life coach yourself and rebuilding your own life before you could get licensed as a life coach.

Roseanne and John were both a little shaky in the first episode, but by the 2nd episode both had settled in nicely with the rhythm of a sitcom and their characters again.

From what I'm gathering, she is aiming to show how politics have divided a family and how that family comes together once again.. and it is showing that not all Trump supporters are evil.. and not all Hillary/Jill Stein supporters are saints either.  

I am curious to find out more about what's been going on with Becky, as well as wondering what Roseanne is doing with her time since Dan is still drywalling... is Roseanne retired?

• Members

From an acting standpoint, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf (though it was never a doubt with her) killed it. I was afraid they'd have to completely mellow-out Darlene now that she's a mother of two, but it's nice that she still had some of her trademark humor and her current incarnation seems like a natural progression. 

Becky is still the same selfish bitch she always was. I wonder why they didn't really touch upon Mark's death, but I guess they'll delve into that in later episodes. 

He wasn't bad, but it's probably wise they give Michael Fishman as few lines as possible. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I loved it!

I still hate this Becky. I never liked her in the original series and I didn't like her today. Sarah C.(2nd Becky) was much better and more tolerable. I noticed she didn't get a main opening credit but a special guest star only.  I always preferred Darlene over Becky. The new additions(Darlen's family) are great. As for DJ....Michael Fishman....lawd he was so stiff in episode 1. He didn't have much to do or many lines though.

• Members

And Fishman wasn't even in the second episode. LOL

He was alright.

I always preferred first Becky over Sarah. Sarah was AWFUL at first. LOL. She was NOT Becky. Lecy's Becky was always selfish. She jumped into things without thinking and was ridiculously stubborn. That hasn't changed. Sarah's Becky was a pathetic weak bimbo who stood there and took Darlene's crap and had no goals for her life. Sarah did great as Andrea though. I liked how 'proper' she was. "Jaqueline" lmao ....

I thought they handled the maturity well with Darlene but still giving her the savage lines she used to dish out. Darlene being the responsible one shouldn't be a surprise, she was always the 'smartest' so to speak. I was worried most about her (Sara) but Darlene was still in there, so I was happy. I LOL'd at the gay daughter jokes.

And that View interview was hella awkward, lol. It doesn't help Whoopi can't seem to see the teleprompter and most of the time doesn't care about it or laughs at the stupid questions she has to ask. I think she'd rather just talk to the guests than read a teleprompter. But it all came off as unprofessional. Usually I like the off-the-cuff awkward stuff but it came off bad. I bet nerves played a part (it was just a lot of nervous awkwardness). Probably wasn't sure how it would go because of Roseanne's hardcore Trump loving rhetoric. But I'm glad that wasn't really talked about, she doesn't need to be bombarded in interviews.

Sara Gilbert looked pressed for a lot of it (again, it seemed like awkward nervousness between all of them) and didn't seem like she wanted to be there, JMO. Even though she handled the questions great. John just joked around. Roseanne always seems a bit drugged up now (which is expected, she has bad knee pain).

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Lecy's Becky was never afraid to be raw and difficult - that's why I found her eminently watchable even when she could be so relentlessly spoiled and immature or unlikable. A real intelligence was behind it which made it harder to watch at times, because it was so real. Sarah's Becky was just a cardboard cutout.

I do hope Becky's character doesn't just become a gag as she did on the original series post-recast - from what I've heard I think they dig into the Mark issue more. Still need to watch last night, I was at a movie.