"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

+1 on Lecy's Becky. All true. I love her. You summed it up well.

I don't think she'll be a gag (Sarah's Becky became the joke, when Lecy returned in Season 8 they had Becky unhappy living in a trailer and that she married too young and wanted more for her life, it was stark and obvious, but not that Lecy's Becky had a ton to do beyond that though, but the writing improved). She had some fun lines and was more prominent in the first two episodes than I expected. It was still Darlene/Roseanne centered but Becky had some good stuff. I hope it keeps up.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree - I think they tried to rebuild Becky a bit when Lecy came back in S8, but the whole season was so hit and miss and then she was gone again. By then they were way too wedded to Darlene being the true heir to the show and Becky the fùck-up, and that stuck. While I understand and agree with shifting the focus to Darlene as a mother and the next generation, I hope it won't be quite so cut and dried here with the two sisters.

• Members

Yeah, the Darlene/Becky dynamic is interesting. Unlike Roseanne/Jackie, the two of them were never close or had as tight of a bond, so they don't have the same dependency/attachment issues their mother and aunt have. It's so easy for a character like Becky to get lost in the shuffle. 

I'll always remember when Roseanne and Dan were jobless and when Dan lost the bike shop, and all Becky could think about was Mark's employment and her own happiness. She was such a selfish piece of sh!t.

Usually when Darlene argued with Dan and Roseanne, she mostly had a point and was often right, that was rarely the case with Becky. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Those scenes were so tough to watch, but very real. The thing is I never felt they were done to vilify Becky - I just felt they showed her as a fundamentally different person. It was with the recast that Becky became utterly two-dimensional.

• Members

I thought that was a typo at first. That's insane. 

I guess it shows why networks keep going back to reboots, and also just how important the show was to many many people.

I didn't watch, but I'm happy for the cast and crew and I hope it works out for them.

• Members

Yes it is. ABC must be over the moon and I am sure they will get a second season pickup as of today....LOL

Ha...me do typos...nah

Please register in order to view this content

Not even Will and Grace did that well. I already forgot their premiere numbers. I think it did well because Roseanne still fits in today's world. I am not sure how many reboots would fit in today's world.

• Members

I'm just annoyed the social media reaction is already so tribalized - the alt right is trying to adopt it while it's not an alt right show tonally in any way, certainly not with Sara Gilbert and co. running it, while a lot of the online left is signaling how it can't be allowed. The actual reviews (from progressive critics) and quality of the show are being largely ignored in the noise atm. Hopefully that'll die down.

I hope people read the Todd VanDerWerff review I put up a page or two ago.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Between this and the respectable ratings of the AI reboot, Channing Dungey has likely bought herself a couple more years atop ABC. EDIT: Forgot to mention The Good Doctor.

Yeah, people on social media are definitely trying to co-opt the show for shallow political purposes that are at odds with what’s on screen. I have seen a few conservatives claim that it’s portraying liberal caricatures of conservatives.

Edited by Faulkner