"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Variety gives a mostly decent review (from Sonia Saraiya, who I can't stand). I've heard before that the pilot has the cast a little awkward in their rhythms, and this seems to bear that out.

This bit about the pilot's Trump/Hillary plot and stuff in future is interesting (spoiler tagged):

Edited by Vee

• Members

There's more good reviews circulating in the press today, which I am pleasantly surprised by. I still have a lot of reservations, but I like a fair amount of the clips I've seen. It'll just be nice to see them all again.

• Members

A good interview with Roseanne and John Goodman on Kimmel. Kimmel playfully grills her about Trump (and Goodman needles her a bit as well), and tbh Roseanne seems defensive but also sheepish.

As I suspected, she seems secretly embarrassed despite her wounded pride - and interestingly, earnestly urges people to vote and "change it if you don't like it."

Edited by Vee

• Members

An interesting and largely positive review from Buzzfeed. It still sounds like the pilot is the rockiest given growing pains and handling the Trump issue, and I'm glad they move on. That being said, this is the part that really interested me:

A brief piece from THR in which the cast and crew (sans Roseanne) passes on screening the revival for Trump:

Edited by Vee

• Members

What's weird though is that the show worked around Sara Gilbert's college schedule (she attended Yale on the east coast), but didn't do the same for Lecy. Perhaps Lecy wanted to squarely focus on college though. However, Darlene remained a central focus on the show even as Gilbert was away and could only do half seasons from seasons 6-9. 

If Darlene is Roseanne's true successor, Becky is certainly Jackie's - someone who had a lot of promise, but was never able to get it together. I think it was mentioned by Bev in the original show how Jackie always had good grades in school, but ultimately never lived up to any of that potential in life.