"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think there has to be a middle ground. The show itself hits that target for me.  The way Roseanne and Dan reacted to Mark wasn't politically correct.  On many shows, they would immediately be the bad guys for not getting him right away.  They weren't politically correct on surrogacy either, but I think a lot of people relate to how they see it.

Real Roseanne is someone I've written off in a sense.  I think she deserves compassion for what she's been through, but I can't take her seriously. I also think it's unfortunate that she has the twitter megaphone that she does.

• Members

I don't think that'll happen, but I do think the focus on Darlene and her kids is deliberate and smart. I also do hold out hope for the cast bringing her back from the brink - she has gone from constantly offensive to sheepish and on the defensive in recent months, with only occasional horrible flashes of really terrible. For Roseanne Barr that is sadly a promising forecast.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It's not gonna happen.

It didn't when the producers tried to float it in '88 (after the episode where Jackie and Dan ran the house together while Roseanne was away) and Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman both went straight to Roseanne about it, and it will never happen now. If the cast stood in solidarity with her through all her insanity for a decade on the air, they'll do so again today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

^ Yeah, the people there know who she is and they made the choice to come back.  Plus Roseanne does have charisma.  I'm sure there is some line she could cross that would make ABC pull the plug completely, but I hope it doesn't happen.  It wouldn't be the same show without her.

• Members

Exactly. Give them a false sense of security, having one of "their kind" as the leading lady... and then that same leading lady will be shown openly embracing progressive topics and people with different backgrounds [as it is, episodes 2 through 9 will have no Trump mention, but instead showcase gender identity, biracial kids, interracial marriage, surrogacy (i.e. non-traditional conceptions), the opioid epidemic, etc.].