Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, she was reluctant to 'celebrate' what she did with that toast, but the point stands that Mariah shouldn't basically be patted on the back for ruining the charity function. The problem with Hillary is that they've had her alienate half of the people in that room, they're not going to rush to her defense.

And Juliajms is right, the show isn't going to be what it was, but this is probably the closest we will get.

The show, like all the soaps, has a lot of dead weight that could and should be cut. Unfortunately with Heinle and Morrow, as has been stated, they won't be going anywhere. Morrow's been on this show for 20+ years and Heinle is past a decade at this point. The writing for these two needs to get better, that would help. Morrow is extremely lazy and Heinle lacks the fire that Victoria needs. Plus she constantly looks like she just rolled out of bed.

To some, Chloe and Kevin and Chelsea and Cane are all wastes of airtime (and I don't disagree). But they don't have to be, although they all could have been different characters that had better connections to the canvas.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not just that.

Y&R had no use for a single Victoria so they chose to eliminate Victoria as a businesswoman altogether (another reason HT walked) making it easy for them to drastically rewrite the character to Heinle's 'strengths.' Which is why Victoria's constantly been married & had perpetual baby rabies since Heinle arrived.

• Members

I'm still enjoying the show and I am grateful to feel that way.

I read the most recent posts and I think Devon was right for coming down on Hillary. And I don't need any more scenes to prove she made Mariah fall. It probably happened the way Mariah imagined. Hillary copped to it and eventually seemed to feel the weight of what she did. Mariah could have been seriously injured, so no I don't think it was weird that Devon walked out. She continued to do power trip stuff and accelerated it to the point of injuring someone. Yeah it's soapy. Devon's crash was predictable and also soapy. I hope people don't come down on Mariah for exposing Hillary. But that would be soapy too. Maybe there will be more outcry for other people's misdeeds now that more people are commenting about this drastically improved soap. I think the show has been very even with the characters across the board.

I didn't like JT as Billy at first, but I did like him A LOT more than DT in the aged role. The past few months have hardened him. He is not the same Billy as he was when BM was in the role.

Overall, I give Y&R a A-  which is a vast improvement over the past 10 years. I can't explain to anyone who isn't a soap fan how much it means to me to look forward to 12:30 - 1:30 again.

Happy New Year.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

They've done this with Jack's character and to a certain extent, Victor's too.

Peter Bergman's has been especially striking when you see episodes with Terry Lester's version of Jack and even Bergman's earlier version of Jack.  Jack used to be more of a mix between oozing charm and domineering and over the past decade and a half has become more of a loser, especially in contrast to Victor.  Victor used to win some and lose some, he used to be vulnerable at times, powerful, other times. Sometimes he was chastened, as when he was on the receiving end of a slap from his own daughter (could you ever imagine Heinle doing that??!) but over the last 6 or 7 years, Victor has been written to "win" at life, even when he's committed atrocious acts.

They've started to wring this out of Victor's character and seem to be making some attempts at unwinding Jack's character. We'll see if this is a long term- the dynamic between Victor and Jack doesn't seem to have changed much, e.g. everyone falling over themselves to thank Victor for his magnanimous loaning of the room for the Charity event, except Victor did get Jack to bow and pull back from the B&S eviction. It'll be interesting if there will be any instances where Victor will have to bow to Jack, or anyone in future.

• Members

I'm not saying it does. I'd be happy never to see or hear about that fall (on the show) again. It was an inane plot from jump. My only point (which was in direct response to what Gmac originally said about it) is that I agree they left the door open, if they decide they must go there.

For once I actually agree with Braeden.  That one time a young Victoria slapped Victor was ok, but it should never happen again. What kind of 40 year old women hits her 70 year old father? Can you imagine the outrage if Nick slapped Nikki?

• Members

I was sure that Hillary indeed stated that she caused Mariah's fall.  Because I no longer trust my memory, I went to the recap of the show and it read "Mariah didn’t trip, did she? Devon asks. Hilary admits it – but it wasn’t planned, she just lost her temper. Devon lists her other lies – I bought you a penthouse, no, a building to start a new life. Hilary wants to start over. Devon thinks it evil that Hilary caused Mariah to trip. Shrugging Hilary off, he moans about her making a fool of Mariah intentionally (and a fool of him) No more though."

• Members

Don't be so sure about that. I'm 100% sure that Neil will play a big role in Hevon's marital problems. But it will be the role he should have always had as suppprting as father to Devon. As apposed to the one they forced him into as rival who leads the damn story. 

Hilary never admitted it. The closest she comes is saying "I wasn't trying to hurt her". 

Archived