Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, what would you suggest they do instead? Because I think they have already made as much sweeping change to systemic stuff, character stuff, as you can in a period like December when a soap showrunner jumps in mid-stream. I think most of the people working in soaps today would have done far less in the same timeframe. I was jolted by what they did from the jump and I thought some of the plot and character ellipsis was quite bold.

And you can call it more of the same, but I don't yet. I have no reason to believe that until they show me it. YMMV which is fine, but the question here is what would you do instead in the same timeframe and how would it be viable?

We get it: You hate Josh Morrow. I don't care about him either but he is never being replaced unless he quits or dies. Let's move on.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've discussed this for years. Including in this thread.

The new regime should have at least had a recast ready for Heinle and/or Morrow. The execs are clearly aware neither actor is up to par which is why they've drastically rewritten their characters. I know the school of thought is veterans are (in most cases) supposed to be treasured but if the writing is suffering because of the performances involved then clearly that is an area that needs to be addressed. And it takes the pressure off Sharon Case to keep Nick relevant while her character suffers.

Abby is a waste. The character has been a mess for years. Ashley has been handicapped by her almost as much as Sharon Case has by JM. The actress should've been written off immediately until the writers had a firm direction for the character.

Daniel Goddard has always been a tremendous bore and Cane has had seventy billion backstories & none of them has made sense but because the execs are determined to appeal to their insane fanbase the soap acts as if it's stuck with them. I don't care for Khalil & would just as soon see the character recast but even I can agree with other posters here that the relationship has been holding her back. And Cane or no Cane trying to make Christel a model again is a joke. It wasn't believable the first time and it won't be believable this time. There are a zillion other career paths Lily could choose (something the writers tried during Davetta's tenure which worked) than embarrassing Khalil again.

Rikaart should've never been put on contract & been gone years ago. Acting like a 40+ degenerate is some misunderstood kid is insane.

Ashley with a younger man of color is interesting. This is the perfect time to bring Keemo & Mai back. There's no reason they (and Kyle) are off canvas. If certain veteran actors have a problem with that then they need to go. One of the reasons the recent non-Beth Maitland Abbott scenes drag is because there's hardly any youth or color involved.

Chloe should've never been Kate. Y'all swore it needed to happen back then to keep EH on the show but all the destruction that casting decision has caused since then has NOT been worth it.

I've liked MCE since AMC but Chelsea is a waste without Adam.

The problem with the Chancellors has never been Devon being related to them (no matter how a certain vocal contingent). It's been that he's been the only representation of the family on the canvas. That's not Devon or Bryton's problem. Y&R squandered that family with bad writing & unnecessary ABC poaches (Eden Riegel). There are tons of missing Chancellors/Hamilton/Websters that could be utilized (there's no way two time emmy winner Jess Walton should be begging for a story) & with the tremendous recent losses (JC & BK) they should be but that would mean treating the family with respect instead of ignoring them to focus on the Newmans. There are tons of stories to tell with Phillip, Nina & Jill alone that would still be groundbreaking in 2016 but it's clear they aren't Y&R's priority.

The less said about the treatment of Kristoff & Neil the better. I discussed recently in another SON thread that there are about at LEAST sixteen different Barber/Winters/Hamilton family members currently off the canvas that could be utilized in some form but as long as daytime refuses to honestly confront and deal with its racism (and this regime feels no different in that regard than its predecessors) it's better they remain off canvas.

If the Abbotts are getting onscreen acknowledgement for John/JD then Doug Davidson should be getting closure for Mary/CC. He can be a cop & mourn for his mother at the same time. There's also unresolved issues between he & Cricket that need to be addressed and a Heather recast should've been a given.

Giving the Baldwins a story that focuses on Lauren rather than Michael is a nice change of pace but focusing on Scotty & Fen should be the upcoming story instead of

Please register in order to view this content

It feels like a lot of style over substance. Like how MAB had her meta joke about crime in GC being "way down" at the beginning of her tenure. No the new writers couldn't accomplish everything in a couple of weeks but all their callbacks feel gimmicky. A lot of this stuff could've been avoided if they had a game plan. Instead they're looking to make tweaks to a unsuccesful formula instead of what's really needed (a complete overhaul).

13 years of one terrible head writer after another will do that to you.

• Members

We've all watched our share of bad soaps for aeons. The ABC soaps were no picnic. It doesn't mean I don't give an incoming team a shot when I have a reason to. And I wouldn't refer to the first day as cosmetic, I thought it was the opposite.

And the problem with this argument is that we're talking about micro vs. macro. I asked about what you would feasibly do in the same timeframe. This is not an answer to that. I can always understand bringing back characters and changing things, but most of what you're discussing in terms of those character and ensemble changes is stuff that cannot and would never happen en masse in less than a month; to effect some if not all of that would take more like six months to a year at least. It doesn't matter whether the writer was Sussman, me, you, Doug Marland or Jesus Christ. The production turnaround is simply not that swift. Change happens in waves.

Other things like Amelia Heinle may be political, unable to get past Sony or the network - those are things we would have to live with just like many soaps have had to live with other unfortunate realities BTS. The same goes for Morrow, who the bulk of the general audience has watched for 20+ years and, while I am not his biggest fan, I just don't think they care about seeing him recast or want it at all unless he chose to leave. That to me is something that's not viable, that's wishful thinking. Sometimes there are changes shows have to make that work within an existing structure, and sometimes that includes characters or actors who are not favorites but who are not so easy to extricate without rupturing or endangering something else.

• Members

Man, It's almost like this show should have been put on hiatus for months, to give Sally and Kay more time to think about what they are doing......and just come back sometime next year....

But I feel like more blame of the soap not being in better shape always should go to the BTS people at CBS/SONY cause clearly deep down, even after rehiring 2 Bill Bell scribes...they don't want this show to succeed!

• Members

Agree with the above posts, esp DeeeDee

Seems that some cast members are treasured by the high aboves and are untouchable.

Sally and Kay probably have to work with some restrictions.

I get the idea of resetting the pace and working on character and for the most part it was necessary and rewarding, but maybe at the same time they should have launched at least one new lead story that counterbalanced the other stuff

eg Scotty returns and announces he's gay.

Nate Winters shows up and makes a play for Ashley.

Something tied to history but fresh and interesting.

Hope at some point Mary's death is dealt with.It would only have to be a small thing with some flashbacks and a tribute.

Jill's trauma would be Colin's death or betrayal?

• Members

Who isn't giving them a shot? Being skeptical of and/or cynical about them isn't the same as not giving them a chance. It's being realistic about a genre that wants to right itself only enough to stop the proverbial bleeding.

In this era you either hit the ground running or you keep with more of the same. From a micro perspective the new writers should've had at least several recasts lined up. That points to having given forethought to the issues of the canvas and positioning the ensemble for future stories.

I know it's unrealistic given the timeframe for Y&R to implement most of my more in depth changes but stuff like Ashley unnecessarily freaking out about her paternity isn't going to win over new/casual viewers & makes Ashley look irrational especially when there's little to no follow up about it. Is it nice that the Abbotts are shown having breakfast together? Sure. But it doesn't make any sense that those scenes in the same episode with actors clearly freezing in an outdoor cafe because the show wants to maximize the Chancellor Park set.

It's that line of thinking that is the reason daytime is in the predicament it's in now. Because what one person considers a sacred cow may not be as revered to someone else. Realistically I know limited actors like Heinle & Morrow aren't going anywhere (I said as much in several posts today) but if that's the case then I refuse to blame viewers for the storytelling issues they present. That's one of those things that helped contribute to the fall of ABC soaps. It's leads to stuff like 'who cares that Jack has three adult children off canvas, who could revitalize his fading family, two of whom would be also be a boon for true diversity, Bergman doesn't like it so they stay gone!' or 'Victor can't lose under any circumstances or Eric Braeden will walk!' which is untenable no matter how one slices it.

Archived