Y&R: JFP Out! Mal Young In!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm wary about producers listening to the audience because of who they will be actually listening to. There's has been some crazy fanbases that held shows hostage for years and destroyed them because producers bent over backwards to cater to them.

• Members

Well if he says he was overseer at EE from 97-04 then he was there for intro of the Slaters, Kat/Zoe's mother/daughter reveal, Who Shot Phil, Steve Owen's reign of terror, Grant/Tiffany saga, Trevor Morgan abusing Moe, return of Den, etc. 

I don't think he'll just listen to anybody. What I mean is that if he sees a lot of the same things being said from all different platforms that he may jump to correct them quickly or tend to the issues unlike a normal US producer would do. I don't think he's gonna be an EP that is just doing this for a check. I think he is gonna actually be doing this b/c he loves it. However, it depends on who his writer is though. 

• Members

The body under the patio, in short was the "Biggest Storyline" that Brookside had. It was about domestic abuse/child abuse that resulted in the death of the Abuser. They followed that up with first Lesbian kiss on Britain tv before 9pm and ultimately  followed it up with an a real brother and sister Incest storyline that began the decline of the show. 

British Soaps and American Soaps are really different. Mal Young might struggle with the fact the characters all have money and rich. This is really rare in British Soaps, (Emmerdale has a few rich characters). British soaps tend to deal with more taboo subjects and BIG Stunts. Some of the stunts are simply amazing. 

Also remember, Bill Bell, had Victor trapped his wife's lover in the basement, Brad trap in a cage, and had a character killed by trash compacter.

• Members

Those Bell stories were years apart and intermingled with romance,affairs etc. Nowadays shows are serving up these stories continually and often to the same characters.

All we can do is sit back and see what happens...looking forward to Young's first interview.

• Members

I'm not really sure how a story from 20 years ago on a soap opera I doubt 98% of the people at Sony or CBS have heard of makes Pratt more or less likely to do a bombing story, given that he's done those types of stories throughout his career anyway.

The patio story was not in any way a Pratt type story. It was a threadbare mother and two daughters and a father who sexually abused his youngest daughter. In desperation the mother eventually stabbed the father to death as he tried to kill their oldest daughter. They buried him under the patio and then tried to go on with their lives for the next year, even as the secret was always waiting to be unveiled. 

Bell did a fair amount of OTT stories back to back throughout the late '70s and early-mid '80s, often involving the same characters. It's just that he mostly knew how to pull it off. 

• Members

It's not a game of Insert Slot A Into Tab B. Those of us who are relative strangers or newcomers to his work can't just peruse the guy's resume and decide we know exactly who he is and what he'll do and which character on Y&R corresponds to characters we've likely never heard of or watched on Brookside. That might make us feel cultured for a moment to drop a few names but it would be vapid and incorrect.

• Members

The Y&R cast are very quiet online about JFP's exit, considering how popular she was with them (reportedly).  Usually when an EP leaves, there's an outpouring of thanks and fond wishes.  But aside from a few congrats for Mal Young, they're tweeting as if nothing happened.  Maybe they're under some sort of gag order from CBS?

• Members

I remember when JFP was fired from GH and the cast lit up Twitter and Facebook to thank her and to welcome FV.  This time, crickets.

My theory: JFP has been out the door for awhile, and the announcement yesterday was just a formal, public acknowledgement of the transition.

• Members

^

That's ONE thing I hate about Y&R ... them b-tches blatantly kiss ass to ensure their jobs. Linder, LeBlanc, Bergman, Stafford (when she was on the show), Braeden, Morrow.... 

Jesus. 

And I hope they don't bring back Esther as she no longer serves a purpose. Kay is gone, let Esther's ass stay gone too. 

Archived