Y&R: JFP Out! Mal Young In!

• Members

Frank is a vet. Jill is a vet. They have both been EPs for well over a decade. That wasn't enough wording.

And yes, I forgot all about the EPs, Robinson, Yorke, Berridge, etc. Still, impressive record.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.  JFP has been around the block and is very savvy.  She had to know her days were numbered when an outsider was brought in as supervising producer.  And I believe she signed a new contract just last year so she's probably been paid off nicely.

I'm interested to hear what the cast has to say over the next few weeks.  By all accounts, JFP was popular with the actors, which isn't everything, but it's important, especially on a show that was known to be a viper's nest before she arrived.

• Members

I think GH is safe and so far it's doing better in the ratings and than when Carlivati was free falling in the last year.  Let's see how the summer goes.  YR looks to be super boring through the transition. Days is a certifiable mess and should be pulled from the air and BB is BB, it will continue to glide and have some bumps.

Jason Thompson is already kissing Young's behind on Twitter. LOL....

• Members

isn't the common denominator Sony that Y&R in this state, not the myriad of EP/HWs the show has had over the decade?  I feel if Sony/CBS wanted to restore  YR to some semblance of its glory days, they would've.  They only seem to intervene when things get bad, then hire new people and let em run rough shot, its  vicious cycle

• Members

Toups, you certainly did.

This caused me to seek out the threads where this was speculated in January and it certainly fostered some great debate... And nothing to do with me being in them 😂

Page 390 if the link takes you to the 1st page and...

Pages 2-5 for reference and credit to BetterForgotten and Carl for articulation I can only dream of.

• Members

I wanted the same for the P&G shows too. I feel like the kitchen-sink drama they write for those would've fit perfectly with Guiding Light and As the World Turns if done right. 

I also wish AMC would've given Daran Little more to do. I think he could've really turned that show around had they utilized him. 

• Members

So what do we know about Mal Young? Would he make a good fit for Y&R? I'm familiar with his Doctor Who work it looks like but I definitely don't want a fool's gold trap like Latham and MAB proclaimed themselves to be with unnecessary victory laps included. At least with Phelps we know what we got going in, although nobody died like Maureen Bauer or Frankie Frame at least.

• Members

I think we're about to see some major changes to Y&R.  Networks don't bring outsiders into soaps unless they really want to shake things up, especially when so many talented veteran producers are out of work..  I predict that this will be a completely different, maybe unrecognizable, show in six months.

• Members

Frankly, Toups, I don't think that's going to happen.  Just as I don't think Kay Alden, Ed Scott, Sally Sussman Morina, Janice Ferri Esser or anyone else connected to the long "golden age" of Y&R will be returning now that JFP is out.  CBS and SONY made it clear long before she even walked through the door for the first time that they weren't interested in keeping THAT Y&R alive.  I mean, I can't even hope for Mal Young and whoever replaces Pratt as HW to make the show watchable again on their own terms, because I just know CBS and SONY will never leave well enough alone. 

Archived