Y&R: JFP Out! Mal Young In!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally unconfirmed at this point and I can't find the source of the speculation but the whispers are that Charles Pratt Jr may have also received his papers and that a new writing team may already be in place. Again, it's just a whisper of a whisper so I'm happy to delete this post if it's not appropriate at this point.

• Members

I guess so. I still don't want the character back. :P

I just NEVER cared for Esther. I wouldn't mind losing Boretoria and Victor either. Hell, the whole Newman clan can go for all I care. I've been said Y&R needs to trim the cancerous figures out of two core families on this show. 

• Members

To me, the executive producer isn't as important as who is writing the show. I won't be excited until I see what his vision is and that will include the type of writer he hires. Will he pick the same ole recycled writers? A Bell protege? Someone new and fresh? That will all help me determine how I feel about this. It's the great unknown considering how UK soaps work, but we will see. I'm happy JFP is gone, but not excited about this new hire until I get an interview out of it and a headwriter announcement.

• Members

I'm not sorry to see JFP go - she did nothing to turn Y&R around and desecrating the Chancellor mansion set was a personally brutal thing to do. I would think the set can be repaired back to its former glory...but I also think Jill should just burn it to the ground.

Mal Young is untested in the US soap market and genre and it IS different than in the UK. What I can say, however, is this is a choice that no other show has had the guts to do. Mal is 'new' and fresh and bold. So we'll see.

The bigger issue is not having a Bell protege writing this damn show. Bill Bell was a genius and unfortunately his show was not easy to run after his retirement because it was so tone specific. There are enough of the old guard actors still there (and also available to bring back or bump up from recurring) that the landscape could look a lot more faithful to Bill Bell's vision. Lord knows I hope Steve Burton is given his walking papers. There are many JFP signature characters who need to get the axe. 

• Members

I tend to wonder how much control he'll even have. We know JFP supposedly fought hard to get Pratt, but she had a lot more clout than I imagine he would.

I just wish they'd go for someone brand new. Kay Alden would be a good choice too but it seems unlikely at this point.

• Members

Even before Pratt was hired people said Kay Alden was retired and a long shot, yet we later found out she submitted a story bible to return as Head Writer. Jill wanted Pratt and made it happen. I certainly can't see them hiring her because it's too logical, but it could happen if someone wanted it to. 

My biggest thing is The Bold and the Beautiful. Ten years ago that show was garbage, stale and in the toilet. Ratings were down as well. Brad Bell managed to revive that show completely and all he did was modernize the production and writing. The show is still B&B just modernized. It's on the same damn network. I can't understand how nobody can look at that show as the template to fix Y&R. They're the same type of show and have the same creator. For years they've been trying to turn it in an ABC soap which makes no sense and now a prime time romp ala Melrose Place. They need to look at what is already working for their audience on the same damn network. If Mel pulled that off he will be the new soap genius but I feel it'll be more of the same and whoever is picked will continue taking the show further and further away from what it should be. 

Archived