Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan exit drama

DRW50

• Members

I see her issue. ABC was trying to save one show at the expense of the other. I don't see it as her wanting to be "in the know" so much as realizing that ABC valued another show over hers. That doesn't mean I think her sitting home is a good idea but I don't blame her for being pissed that her show was actively being sabotaged. Finding out that your employer doesn't have your back in even the most basic way is a gut punch. Still, what she should do is play nice and start planning an exit strategy.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Must be nice to have enough money in the bank so that if someone disappoints you at work that you can just decide to take the rest of the week off. Even though ABC mishandled this (what a shock), I guess being a professional is too much for the spoiled princess. Do the show as scheduled, then stay and fight afterwards.

ABC should tell her not to bother coming back. Maybe they could ask the GH prop department if they still have that wig on a stick they used to represent Laura for years after firing Genie Francis, and they could set it up next to Strahan for the next few months.

• Administrator

Yes she did because they're partners.  Imagine if your partner doesn't tell you something until the last second - of course you would feel blindsided and hurt.  It also shows that ABC doesn't respect Kelly enough to tell her - it's basically a "Who cares what she thinks.  She doesn't mean anything to us," attitude.   It's more than being "just an employee" and toeing the line. 

• Members

Leeza Gibbons said she was in the same place when John Tesh was fired from their show and she was going to do the show by herself. She said that the network told her not to tell John what was going on. So I am assuming thats what they told Michael to do.

• Members

Yep.

Yep.

Irrelevant. Her show is about two hosts doing a live show. The network's fυcking with that and didn't bother to tell her. There's a chance ratings drop, a suitable replacement isn't found in time, that the formula will not work again, and the whole existence of the show is now in question. You know all this. 

• Members

Exactly. No one is really truly, IMO, defending Kelly not showing up for work. Being upset that a SHOW WITH YOUR NAME ON IT has just lost the other part of that name, and that ABC/Disney has showed (that company is really starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth for many other reasons too), in this move, that they really don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about her. I don't approve of her "diva" behavior (though a few of you clearly don't like her; I do think she comes off fake as !@#$%^&*] now so I'm far from defending her) and not showing up for work looks bad for her, but in the long run, this move seems to have not been the "YAYY AMAZING OMG" thing Sherwood probably wanted.

And Jonny, just stop because Strahan is hardly hurting for money. Come on now. Stop. He'll be making double at GMA now. It's sickening how much these people get paid.

I'm not a Strahan fan either. He also comes off fake as !@#$%^&*] and a closet douchebag. I hated how GMA treated him like the second coming when he joined the show (I watch it everyday, usually). They ran segments with him like he was the best thing ever and it just seemed so forced. And so did the welcome when this announcement happened. I lol'd at George sending out that tweet welcoming him because I just don't think it was genuine; just a hunch. I still think George hates Lara, he's always giving her side eye like he wants to slap the [!@#$%^&*] out of her. Lara and Michael are not worth what they were given and I still don't understand Lara as a co-host. Have George and Robin at the table, that's it. They must want a third hour because Amy, Lara, George, Robin, Michael and Ginger is just too many people at the table IMO.

I don't following the morning ratings like I had been, is GMA sinking again? I thought they've had a small but nice lead over Today, for the most part. I know Today has beaten them in the past here and there but GMA was #1 for a while.

I think a third hour of GMA is stupid. I also still think four hours of Today is ridiculous as well.

• Members

plucked from obscurity? You act like she was sitting around doing nothing when she got hired on Live. Kelly Ripa was never in obscurity. She got her talk show gig while still being a soap star and did that simultaneously for a couple of years and almost immediately went into headlining her own primetime show after leaving AMC. She was working consistently. You are really downplaying her career

• Members

Yep. At least show some unbiased opinion. Kelly Ripa was hardly obscure. She had an ABC primetime sitcom with Faith Ford that was pretty funny (I think ABC badly mishandled Bonnie's show, Faith/Kelly's show and Sara Rue's show but that's another rant for another day) and she was doing LIVE! and also on AMC.

Even if someone doesn't like her, don't downplay where she was at the time. She's a name now whether some like it or not.

ABC/Disney and possibly Strahan fumbled this one badly. But in a few months no one will care.

I do think LIVE! seems to be in danger. Everything about it just sort of reeks.

And you have to remember, Kelly fought hard, apparently/supposedly, for Strahan to land the gig and they became a ratings winner. She has every right to feel blindsided. You don't have to like how she went about it, but if the shoe was on the other foot, Ripa would be called a bitch and Strahan a victim. It's always sort of a double standard.

But we also have reports that there is no love lost between them anymore so she could be thrilled he's leaving but the way it was handled was crappy. Although maybe after decades in the industry she really SHOULDN'T have been blindsided, LOL.

• Members

Ripa just got a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame. She just a rich morning queen diva now. I am sure Mark is happy I mean what does he do really besides spend his wife's outrageous salary. In addition to her 27 million dollar house in NYC she has an 8 million dollar mansion in the hamptons. She just beyond rich. Ripa has power to have networth of over 200 million in next couple years.

Why would Live be in jeopardy when it's the highest rated talk show with over 4 million and great demos. A GMA third hour could bomb.

Archived