Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan exit drama

DRW50

• Members

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3549870/Kelly-Ripa-ABSENT-Live-Kelly-Michael-Michael-Strahan-talks-decision-leave-Good-Morning-America-thanks-fans-staff-makes-no-mention-blindsided-cohost.html

What a mess. I'm surprised she'd just refuse to go on air, if this is true. I'd think she'd worry about being replaced. Still, if this is true it sounds like they dicked her around. I can see why she's upset. 

I haven't watched this in years and years. I'm sorry I missed the lovely Ana Gasteyer as a co-host. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, TMZ reported that because not even Ripa and Gelman were let in on this (classy move, Mouse House), "Live" is now left twisting in the metaphorical wind.  They have SOME time to find a replacement, but not as much as they'd probably like.

Also, from what I heard on the radio this morning, there was no love lost between Ripa and Strahan even BEFORE this announcement, despite reports to the contrary.  (Not that that surprised me, of course.  Strahan always seems like a d-bag to me.)

But the "best" part?  Is that ABC believes this will somehow stop the bleeding on GMA's ratings.  GMA might need some help in beating "Today," but I really don't believe Strahan is the one to do it.

• Members

Unfortunately, ABC is probably mulling over that idea (of naming Mark as her new, permanent co-host) even as we speak.  Just imagine if Regis had been allowed to work permanently with Joy, or Kathie Lee with Frank, and you get how unpromising that could turn out to be for the audience.

• Members

I find this diva behavior so wrong.   Ok, so she wasn't told in person, how does her knowing a day or week in advance change anything?    What does her being consulted actually do to change anything?  "You didn't tell me you were quitting!  I will never talk to you again!"  is ridiculous.    So what is it really about, hurt feelings and an assault on her inflated self esteem that nobody sought her approval for this change in somebody else's life?    Now she won't return to the show, but I am sure we can find hours of video where she BSes on and on about how she loves the fans or when  she air kisses Disney's president.

They need to remind her that they juggled their staff before, like when they took her from AMC and put her with Regis.  It's a pity Regis is too old because he was the best at this type of show.   I think I only saw this guy once, but he seemed like just another warm body sitting in the chair.   This would be a great gig for Anderson Cooper but he probably doesn't want it. 

• Members

I understand it as well.  Keeping "Live!" in the dark throughout negotiations shows a total lack of respect on ABC's part.  Especially when you consider how successful the show has been for the network over the years under its various hosting regimes.

If Ben Sherwood wanted Strahan to work full-time on GMA, fine.  At the very least, however, he could have extended to the folks at Strahan's CURRENT gig the courtesy of letting them know the gameplan before yesterday, or whenever Strahan, Ripa and Gelman had their reported convo.  And, I must be honest, if Strahan hadn't been such a chickenshit, he would have told Sherwood and his team at the start that he couldn't or wouldn't enter into talks about the GMA gig unless and until the people at "Live!" were given the metaphorical heads-up.

Frankly, I'd rather see Anderson stick with CNN or even move into a full-time gig on "CBS This Morning."

• Members

I agree how Strahan handled it is very tacky but none of the drama reflects well on any of them, including Kelly going AWOL. I am surprised the network let Live twist in the wind like that - unless they're thinking about slitting its throat a la GH.

Archived