Y&R JULY 2015

• Members

The problem is the way Victoria got back to her "correct" characterization. It was like a light switch. One day she's messin around with Stitch, by the end of the show they've broken up and he's porking Abby. The next day she's business bitch.

I get that's the way she was written under BB. And I like her that way too. But she hasn't been written that way for YEARS. At least attempt to tell a story on why the character changed.

Maybe I'm asking too much, IDK. They did a half way decent job of explaining the change with Lily. Another change that I liked.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As someone who's been watching Y&R for the last 28 years or so and is it for the long haul(I clinged to GL and ATWT to the end) the show is a big gigantic nearly unwatchable mess. Nothing will ever be as bad as the fall of 2009, but this does come dangerously closed.

My positives?

-Hartley and Tognoni can consistently deliver. Also Y&R vets like Bregman, Eileen Davidson, Case can still bring it on without fail.

-The stuff between Cane and Lauren and Joe and Lily has been surprisingly decent to watch. I still like Devon and Hilary as well.

-Adam in control of Newman-Abbott has potential for a finally decent business story.

The rest of the show is utter trash. I know Pratt will never be true to Y&R but at least be entertaining, something Y&R is not about 90% of the time.

• Members

Why is Victor never in a jail cell? He's using his tablet, making phone calls and getting dozens of visitors each day, not to mention bribing a guard to continue his dirty work. C'mon...this is so unrealistic.

• Members

I don't think you're asking too much, daytime drama is supposed to be about day to day character development. At least that's my understanding. I'm certainly not watching Y&R for the realistic business stories or informational police procedurals. Come on now, half the time they can't even be bothered to follow the laws of physics.

Avery was good today explaining why she's leaving her practice and GC. Her explanation of her disappointment in herself for taking the law into her own hands after her rape was plausible and delivered in a sincere, believable way. Really enjoyable scenes. Joe has also won me over. At first I didn't like the actor but SE has proven himself to be very capable. I'm starting to think of him as the new Brad, hopefully they'll give him something decent to do.

Abby's scenes in the GCAC trying to negotiate a deal with "labor" for Newman Abbot was fascinating in a trainwreck, can't look away kind of way. The show actually wrote a few details, numbers for them to throw around in the negotiation which was different than what they normally do. So Abby supposedly got the deal done, ok great, and then she gets drunk and leaves with the guy she negotiated the deal with who is obviously hitting on her. She's such a twit!

Devon and Hillary are so awful. Hillary has been completely ruined as a character. She's the new Avery before Avery got interesting. Bland, sweet, all of the sudden the moral compass of the Winter's family. It was painful watching Devon planning their wedding and Hillary sitting there smiling and batting her eyelashes at him. I feel sorry for the actress, MM, that she started out with promising writing as a career woman who could go toe to toe with Jill and play with the big boys and now she's parked at a table in the GCAC looking at photos of wedding venues, no job, I guess being supported by Devon.

Michael needs to stop dispensing marital advice to Cane and Lily. They do NOT need to stop fighting they need to continue all the way to divorce court and Lily needs her own apartment!

IDK, based on the stories that have been in the news lately, who the hell knows what really goes on in jails/prison these days. Money talks.

• Members

I absolutely loathe Victoria now. She is 100% Victor's toadie and its rather disgusting. I feel like she has no point of view beyond Victor is right about everything and if you don't agree with him you're a disloyal jerk. While Heather Tom's Victoria was all about business, it felt like she had a heart.

• Members

But she was daddy's girl. Heather Tom's Victoria as I recall was strongly in Victor's corner. Except with Ashley. She often challenged and criticized Nikki, and took Victor's side.

I would wish a better actress was playing Victoria, but with the crap Pratt is writing what's the point?

• Members

You're right about quickness, but I'm OK with that - last thing I want to see is Victoria doing a 'change' and waffling back and forth. They needed to reboot the character and I applaud them for just making it happen. It's also consistent with the character's history, so no biggie. If the writers have an idea, I'd rather cut to the chase and move into it than enduring weeks of basically nothing to get to the same place.

ITA on Lily. That was a much harder transition - as I've mentioned because of Lame. They did a great job with Cane hiding Hevon to create a crack in relationship and get Lily to start questioning and then tying the Michael/Lauren drama was definitely unexpected but it took a bad storyline and merged it into something better. Oh, and does Cane really think he's going to get those kids with Lily getting backed by Devon's billions? However, it would be interesting if somehow Cane won because it would create a new 'hunger' and 'goal' for Lily, perhaps turning her into a less nice character.

• Members

Folks in prisons get contraband (phones, drugs, and whatever else they want if they have the connections/money to get it). My cousin works in a prison. The stories she tell. I'm surprised they haven't shown Victor romances a female prison guard to get these privileges.

• Members

Very good point. Would it be great if they had a hearing and Jill was asked to testify on Cane's behalf only to have Sherman (the go-to lawyer opposite Michael), ask her, "Ms. Abbott Fenmore Atkinson, tell us how you felt when your future son-in-law revealed that not only was he not your son, but also was hiding the fact that your son was alive and well? Is this really the kind of man who deserves even basic visitation much less full custody?"

Archived