DAYS: May 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

You would think Marlena would be all about going to Sunday mass and all that.

Meanwhile, I hope they filled up those alleged tunnels from the Salem cemetary, through the center of the earth, and winding up on Melaswen Island. Oh, Reilly DAYS, you kill me...

Cheap, I wondered the same thing for a long time. Years ago, I bought edits of nearly the entire storyline (on VHS!), and filled in the missing pieces through YouTube. And unless I missed an episode or two, they never flat out said to the audience, "Marlena is possessed by Satan! Stay tuned for more!"

She started complaining that she wasn't sleeping well and looked visibly exhausted. At the same time, Stefano secretly moved into the adjacent penthouse and his workmen connected the apartments through her bedroom armoire (Marlena even complained about the noise, citing renovations next door). At night, Stefano came into her room and she was in some sort of trance. As you saw in the clips, he wore a lil masquerade mask over his eyes, but it was still clearly Stefano, but Marlena didn't know who he was because she was clearly under the influence of something.

Later, a Christmas tree in Salem place was set on fire. We later saw a masked person dressed in black destroy a religious statue at St. Luke's. John was there and battled with the person, but they got away. When we later saw the masked person remove the grease paint from their face and remove their ski mask, we saw that it was Marlena. Her eyes were still normal though.

Then on Christmas Eve, while the rest of Salem was at St. Luke's for service, Marlena's bed started shaking and she was freaking out. Miraculously though, she went quick to bed right after that, and while she was asleep, she began to levitate above her bed.

Later that evening or the next day, John came to check on Marlena, and as he was rambling on about herbal teas, we saw her eyes glow and she started to pick up a pair of scissors to stab him (good call, MarDEVIL). But Marlena emerged, and wondered why she was holding the scissors.

Real interesting to watch. Knowing James Reilly's usual hammer-over-your-head writing, I was surprised that we, the viewer, were left to figure it out for ourselves. It wasn't until Celeste started chiming in to Stefano about evil coming to Salem and the devil's presence, that you could really connect the two.

Oh, I also forgot to mention, that in the early weeks of this storyline, we would see some dark figure all dressed in black but had red glowing eyes. It was supposed to be a representation of the devil about to overtake Marlena. There was even one episode when this figure had a voiceover monologue (in Marlena's possessed voice). I guess you could say that was a bit of a hammer-over-the-head moment.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was dying at all the flashbacks! Aside from that quippy exchange between her and Sami in 2011-12 ("I've faced my demons." "Literally!"), was this the first onscreen acknowledgement of Marlena's possession since Reilly 1.0?!

Archived