Baltimore Riots

Nate4

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I posted about a little about this in the thread about a woman stopping her son from rioting already, so here's the Cliff Notes version:

I am about an hour and a half or two hours south from both Baltimore and DC. I have friends who live/work in and around Baltimore, one of whom is a friend of mine from college. Except for when she was on campus for school, she's lived in Baltimore her whole life. There were stores/buildings on her street that were destroyed. I mourn the loss of Freddie Gray and understand the anger/frustration at the police officers who were there when he died, but it's one thing to protest. It's another to turn to looting and violence.

I just want to see the city find some peace, and luckily it seems like some peace has come already since the clean up began today. I don't know how the curfew is going to go, or what will happen once it's lifted, but I'm trying to focus on hope. This isn't just about Baltimore, this is about the entire state of Maryland (well, really the entire country, but you get my point).

The murder in North Charleston, SC was just as tragic, but I think Baltimore being the (much) larger city made things worse.

One Maryland. Pray For Baltimore. We'll get through this.

Thinking of you, Nate, and everyone else here from Maryland, including SFK and Marco Dane. wub.png

• Members

Just another event that showcases how some folks are living in a completely different America than others. If I see the words "it's just my opinion" attached to an ignorant statement again I will scream. It's just another way to say "It's how I feel despite MOUNTAINS of evidence on the topic that I choose to ignore but felt the need to open my mouth anyway"

And they keep referencing "black on black crime" and "gang violence". How did drugs and Ak-47's get into ghettos in the first place? Why do ghettos exist anyway? *cough*TheGovernment*cough*

The other one that kills me is when they see "If you don't like it here in America then leave" :lol:

• Members

Looting has nothing to do with protesting any more than vandalism being part of street celebrations of any sports team's victory. Some people just like to take advantage of public assemblies to make trouble.

Whether or not one agrees with the right to protest or even the subject of the protest, vandalism and looting generally distract from peaceful protests to the extent that the message can get ignored.

Archived