GH: April 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

I should add: Jason Thompson, who has been putting in good work in the face of impossible story and character conditions for several years now, did an uncanny take on Steve Hardy and John Beradino. He had the authoritative voice and specific inflection down perfectly for a man who came on the show years after Beradino passed.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just felt like the entire cast was phenomenal. All the young Spencers, including the little girl playing Barbara Jean (who only got a couple lines), were fantastic. I liked the hospital scenes too, and Jason and Becky's portrayal of Steve and Jessie. And I felt like Tony and Laura really did justice to the long awaited characters of Tim and Lena.

And yes, I loved the writing too. I understand that Ron isn't too popular around here. It reminds me of the way I used to bash Reilly back in the day. (Toups can probably share a few memories, LOL). I'm not retracting my criticism on JER, or asking anyone to pull back from their stated opinion of RC. But I also remember that every now and then Reilly would do something incredible and cause even me to grudgingly say: "another Reilly payoff." IMO Ron and Frank really have their moments. And this episode was one of them to an unbelievable degree.

• Members

Ron didn't write it, Liz Korte did. I expect Ron was the one who threaded certain things in, though, like Jessie's veiled mention to Steve of Angie Costello (from the pilot - probably that exact dialogue, too), the Eckerts owning a bakery, and even the Middleton connection from back in the '70s.

I thought it could have been even better with more of the old GH writers Frank and Ron canned, but as it was the script was quite solid and not cute or too campy.

I think it was an good standalone piece of work and will probably win them the Emmy. But as a payoff? The long-term story, turning Luke into a coke fiend, molester and murderous crime boss with a timeframe and background that does not make sense, all based on an old Southern Gothic family secret, does not work. Only the episode did.

• Members

She is the last of the pre-Ron writing staff, which is all you need to know. I was not her biggest booster in the past and I don't think it was as sharply detailed as some other staff writers back in those days, but it was still emotional and not just utterly basic (or campy and glib).

Archived