Y&R: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

AMC and OLTL's people. I know it's compulsive for me to keep mentioning that, but by the end of OLTL on ABC they had Evangeline, Viki, Cassie, Nora and Blair all wearing the same sport jacket some years, so it was a really nice change.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a soap that is still mining Jack taking Jabot public & that happened 25 years ago.

Newman going public should have been a huge umbrella story. Even Victor's betrayal of everyone during the Tuvia story almost destroyed everyone involved & that was the ripple effects of just ONE character's actions.

Today's Y&R (in addition to the absence of business stories) has no idea how to write long term character based drama which is why promising younger characters like Mason & Jamie disappear after they've provided temporary story for existing characters (who would otherwise be spinning their wheels) & older characters (who should be easy to write for) are subjected to constant storyline resets (Jack, Sharon, Neil, Victor) every time sweeps weeks end.

• Members

Altman/Passanate's writing is beyond uninspired and monotonous and like Passante's final years at ATWT always, always overlooks any potential and good possibilities and instead coasts month to month. Unlike Latham and MAB/Sheffer/Hanmer the tedious two are actually inoffensive except in their ineptitude to write a sufficient story. Oh sure Latham and MAB had their vision but what played out on screen was abhorrent, vapid, and disgraceful. Wishy-washy Griffith had some good ideas but backpedaled(ie Hilary as Dru's long lost daughter, Summer's paternity etc.)

Y&R main reason of it being unacceptable to watch these days is because there is no one really running the ship who understands it at all or anyone who has history with it. That's probably my main beef with Phelps this time around--doing decent job as EP yet no idea of what made Y&R #1.

• Members

We know Passanante suggested Cady for the Kelly part (Cady confirmed). I would venture to guess that Passanante suggested Tognoni too. Both actresses have a great following and both are capable, but the recasts are handicapped (partly due to timing and partly due to all the lost veterans and partly that the roles are weaky written). NuBilly casting has Phelps written all over it. The irony is that on Phelps' other shows she downgraded the middle aged women; so why would we want to age Billy, the leading man, so visibly, is beyond me. The actor is just not right for the role.

They are writing Nikki to be very unsympathetic. I didn't relate to her crashing Paul's honeymoon. She's being pedantic and whiny. I'm not buying that she's going to fall off the wagon or the reasons shown.

Tognoni is just too young and doesn't have the edges (physically or emotionally) that Stafford has. She already feels like Phil light. And the choice to have Bergman sniffle over her lifeless corps in those unconvincing scenes did nothing to endear us to nuPhil.

The only way to salvage Stich's character is to put him as a half naked lifeguard at the club pool and give him very few lines to say. In fact, save money and make him an U/5!

• Members

Actually Gina put her own tape at y and r. Gina is a great actress who auditioned and won the part. Let's give her more time before. Let's remember Michelle left the show it was her choice. Cady is horrible as Kelly she's a needy mess of a character. She's so miscast in this part.

• Members

Imagine how glorious it would be if we turned into a Friday episode and you spot these three just living life? Not as an end of episode tag, but just include them in the episode as if it's nothing and then at the end you could have the two Lily's run into each other. It would shut down daytime, but of course any Dru return (if it ever happened) wouldn't be worth a damn with these writers.

Back in reality this pic comes from a TV One film airing this October called Fright Night: The Mirror

Bu87OPXCUAAaVSz.jpg

Archived