NBC’s Classic Soap THE DOCTORS To Run On Retro TV Later This Year!

• Members

Wow, I actually have that channel too.

But I will probably just watch it on the Roku, assuming somebody uploads them to YouTube.

I vaguely remember my grandmother watching that in the 1970's but I remember nothing about it since I was no more than 7 or 8.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Liz Hubbard joined in 1964, I believe,

I know it's always been said that The Doctors probably started saving their episodes way before many of the other soaps due to its Colgate-Palmolive ownership, but I always figured like '73 or '74. But then again I do believe the Paley Center does have a Christmas episode from the late 60s.

• Members

I do know that Colgate owned, which is why I am surprised people outside the soap world remembers let alone people AT Colgate, but why did they save before PGP? Could one argue that Colgate cared more about the genre than PGP? They always seemed to be a bit more innovative/progressive.

• Members

!@#$%^&*]. I don't have this channel. And you just know they'll probably only show like a month of episodes before pulling it.

I hope someone puts this on Youtube :( I've always wanted to see this show so much. Althea and Carolee and the flawed but strangely hot Mike, and Maggie...

• Members

LOL...poor Carl...never seen you react this way...I dont have it either on Directv....my parents have Time Warner but its on their digital package and my folks dont have the digital package..grrr...I want to see Elizabeth Hubbard as Althea.

• Members

It's just a shame because this is such a rare opportunity and this channel barely airs anywhere and you know they won't run it for longer than a second.

I think I meant Matt, not Mike. I always get their names mixed up.

I hope we will at least get a Liz Hubbard interview out of this.

We're really going to see what a good actress Liz is now. So many people claimed she just hammed it up as Lucinda, but Althea was a totally different character.

• Members

Had RTV for years (along with Me TV) but suddenly after Get TV and some channel called The Works pops up, a few months later, RTV goes buh-bye.sad.png

The Doctors when off the air when I was a kid so I never saw an episode but my Mother used to mention the show. I would have liked to have had the chance to see a classic soap from episode one.

Someone who didn't 'wipe' their soaps! Wow!.

• Members

Retro TV, MeTV, and Antenna TV usually keep shows on for a respectable length of time. I think the whole time we had Retro TV, they only changed the schedule ONCE, and I believe they've only changed it once since then. Their schedules have gotten poorer over the years, especially compared to the other two nets. Retro TV was actually the first of these types of channels and had the rights to a lot of different shows for a while before succumbing to Antenna and ME. Retro did tend to air more obscure, but not necessarily short-lived, shows like The Bold Ones, Tarzan, Movin' On, Airwolf, Run for Your Life, etc.

I'm almost 100% positive Antenna TV could air Y&R and DAYS since both fall under the Screen Gems banner. I think it's just a matter of whether or not CBS and NBC have exclusive broadcast rights. I doubt we'll ever see reruns of those until they're cancelled, though.

I'm just waiting for someone to start putting whatever classic soaps they own on Netflix.

• Members

In 1979, Another World was increased to 90 minutes, which changed the NBC schedule. The Doctors was moved to a slot 30 minutes earlier. Once AW went to an hour again in 1980, The Doctors was moved again. The Doctors had been on from 2:30-3 pm from its premiere to AW 90 minutes, then 2-2:30 during AW expansion. After AW shrunk again to an hour it was moved to 12:30-1 pm, until some time in 1982 when it was on from 12:00-12:30. It is also possible that since some NBC stations showed news at noon, that The Doctors wasn't shown in the standard slot.

Archived