NBC’s Classic Soap THE DOCTORS To Run On Retro TV Later This Year!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DOOL is intact though a lot of the early stuff is on kinoscope.

I believe they started saving the AMC/OLTL stuff in 1975 because that is when Agnes sold. AMC went to an hour in 1977/1978. That said, I do believe Agnes still owned the shows when Mary died and they used the week Mary died to experiment with the expansion. So from my understanding Agnes agreed to sell if ABC saved the episodes. With that said I do wonder when ABC decided to keep the episodes? RH is in intact and I think GH from 75 is intact as well.

Not to change the subject but I do wonder why Curtis saved the per-supernatural DS stuff. It makes sense that the supernatural stuff is intact for the most part.

• Members

I emailed retro TV and they sent me this:

Hello,

Thanks for your e-mail.

The only way you can watch Retro TV in The Dallas/Fort Worth area is to hook up an antenna (RCA Flat Multi-Directional Digital- $20 at Wal-Mart) to your digital tv and tune in Free Channel 31.4 over the air. We are not on cable or any of the other pay services

If you have an older analog tv, you will need a converter box (Magnavox $40 at Wal-Mart) and an antenna.

We only have the broadcast rights to the Doctors on Retro TV and are not allowed to put it up on You Tube or on any other platform.

Thanks for your interest.

Fred HuttoTV 31.4

I guess we need someone to put it on YT and slap the "1974 act allows us to bla-the-bla-the bla" or whatever that quote is the everyone uses now so there stuff isn't pulled.

• Members

I believe 1976 is the year ABC started saving all of AMC/OLTL/GH. Ryan's Hope's owners (Labine/Avila?) saved the episodes from the start. Agnes Nixon has said before that she is envious that Curtis saved DS from the start, though she also said her company simply couldn't afford to at the time (broadcast video tape used to be very expensive which is why they would re-use it.) Of course there's also been talk that a lot of AMC/OLTL was recorded on kinescope before then (much more than we've seen) but destroyed in some factory fire? SFK would know more about that.

I believe 1976 is the year ABC started saving all of AMC/OLTL/GH. Ryan's Hope's owners (Labine/Avila?) saved the episodes from the start. Agnes Nixon has said before that she is envious that Curtis saved DS from the start, though she also said her company simply couldn't afford to at the time (broadcast video tape used to be very expensive which is why they would re-use it.) Of course there's also been talk that a lot of AMC/OLTL was recorded on kinescope before then (much more than we've seen) but destroyed in some factory fire? SFK would know more about that.

• Members

Oh, this is the email I sent this:

I recently learned that RetroTV will be re airing the classic soap, "The Doctors". I apologize if I sound entitled but I was born in 1991, 9 years after the show ended, so I always wanted to see it. Anyway, I really don't know how to get this channel. I can't find it on Fios. Basically, is it possible to get a You Tube channel that can air these shows? You can place adds on You Tube, in case add support is an issue, BTW.

• Members

I don't think GH from 75 on is as intact as people think. When they did the primetime special for the 35th, I read an interview where they lucked out finding that classic episode and scene of Laura and Scotty and the star on the top of the Christmas tree. That's got to be from nearly the 80's.

When Bill Bell was still alive he stated Y&R was intact from the beginning, and he would like to start airing it again, or recast and film again. He thought while the trappings were dated, he could pull out those scripts and film them with modern production and have a hit all over again. This was right after he stepped down but was still somewhat involved.

• Members

I believe DAYS and Y&R are complete in their original color form. I also have a feeling some of the short-lived soaps are out there in a vault, like Return To Peyton Place. Being based off of such popular franchise I feel they would've saved it. Plus we know some of these soaps have aired internationally so obviously they were being saved in order to be syndicated. They were also able to complete the Ryan's Hope set by reaching out to stations they knew aired the show and I know they got some missing episodes from Europe.

• Members

Actually, it would be interesting if they did pull out those old scripts and essentially do a remake with Alden at the helm. They could even call it "The Innocent Years", which was the original title. Alden could help modernize it. They may have to change the names of the characters but it is still really relevant. Maybe there are projections of what the show would have looked like if the expansion never occurred, and when the original characters were there, or maybe Alden remembers things they wanted to do with the characters that left the show.

• Members

I get Bouce TV, ME TV and the like with an antenna. I used to get RTV (when it was available) with one as well.

Anyone who lives in an area that currently gets RTV but it's not on your Cable lineup. Try using a digital antenna. If you live pretty close to a television tower (less than 20 miles away) you might be able to get it with a basic indoor antenna. If not, save your receipt and return that antenna!

• Members

Yes and before that all of the post Barnabus episodes have been on VHS for eons. TONS of VHS.... I only have twelve of the DVD sets--I love it, but haven't even seen all of those yet (I started at the very beginning)--and then of course at a huge discount they released a complete set, but... One or two episodes had to use kinescopes (actually one might just be the audio.)

Pretty sure Agnes or someone claimed that when her soaps were lengthened and bought by ABC they also started saving the videos of GH--so that woulda been 76/77 as well.

OK Im clueless about this. If this station is antennae only, does that mean it's impossible to record it on DVR? You'd have to use a recordable DVD or VHS system?

Archived