Y&R: Phyllis finally recast

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are being nice. She was asked to play Victoria when Amelia Heinle was in the role and I have no doubt Maria Arena Bell was talking to her for the same thing. She has mentioned that in print. It was probably pre-Villy. Prior to Villy nobody likes Amelia Heinle and she had no fanbase.

• Members

How do u know that? I remember when Gina was a hot commodity after GL and it was stating everyone was after her. There times in the early 2000s heather Tom has bad contract negotiations and they started recasting but ultimately she stayed until of 2003 when her name was mentioned but y and r held off on recasting for over a year. Gina at the time was offered Dinah she didn't audition. I doubt in 2009 she was reading for Victoria I think she had talks with Maria bell but she was offered bold and beautiful to play sandy/Agnes and good thing Gina passed on a dud role. She returned to OLTL because of timing she married her husband after GL ended. She chose her marriage over her career. Her husband has his own business in new jersey I think insurance. She even said she is going to commute her husband can't move to the west coast. Gina is a smart girl she waited for the right timing and role to daytime and not do a throw away part.

• Members

You are correct when you say that she turned down the role of Agnes on B&B. I think Martha Madison also auditioned for that role btw. You are still wrong about her as Victoria. When she was on OLTL she wasn't known for her acting, it wasn't until she played Dinah on GL that she became a respected actress and THAT is when she was offered the role of Victoria. I'm sure someone can dig up the interview or the Nelson Branco article which reposted it. At the time it was a big deal because nobody could believe that Gina would openly talk about specifically being offered the role of Victoria while there was an actress in the role. Of course nobody was upset with Gina (at that point EVERYONE wanted Amelia gone), but it was still pretty funny. I even recall Amelia mentioning in interviews as recent as a couple years ago how lucky she was to have a job and basically apologizing for not being able to do what Heather could do.

• Members
Here's one article talking about that

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/06/05/breaking-news-has-oltl-won-the-casting-war-over-gina-tognoni/

Here's another one in 2011 talking about her last days at OLTL and wanting to work with Billy Miller on Y&R

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/one-life-to-live/the-gina-tognoni-interview-one-life-to-live/2011/08/24/

• Members

I've been checking on reactions to GT playing Phyllis on Twitter, just to see what the daytime community was saying

@ginatognoni so excited that you're coming on board!You are going to be a great addition. Can't wait.

@ginatognoni So happy to hear of your joining our madhouse of fun!Congrats! Can't wait to welcome you to Genoa City in person! xo Mel

@bobbyevans @ginatognoni Gina will be great :) but Thank you

@ginatognoni Thrilled for you at #YR ! They had better take care of you! @CJLeBlanc @MelodyThomasSco @CadyMcClain and #peterbergman too!!

@ginatognoni AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! xxxo...me..

@ginatognoni Loving you back sis... You got this...2764.png kill it!!!

Welcome to Genoa City @ginatognoni !!! #yr @YRInsider

Welcome back home to @CBSDaytime! RT @ginatognoni: #Super #excited for this new journey - here we go !” #YR @YandR_CBS @YRInsider

@ginatognoni Congrats, Gina! Very happy for you!

@ginatognoni CONGRATS girl!! I am so excited that you will be in LA!!!! 1f389.png1f389.png1f389.png1f389.png

@ginatognoni: #Super #excited for this new journey -here we go !” Welcome and Congrats Gina! You're gonna be great!! @YRInsider 1f339.png1f339.png1f339.png

@ginatognoni awesome Gina!!! Hope I see your beautiful face soon!!! 1f618.png1f618.png1f618.png

@ginatognoni Excited for you too Gina. Welcome to the fray. There's a seat at the table, reserved just for you. #Love

@Cubfnatic: @ginatognoni congratulations Gina on playing Phyllis!” Great choice!

Great!! "@MichaelFairman: .@ginatognoni Lands The Role Of #Phyllis On The Young and the Restless! http://bit.ly/1vMJT8T "

In her SOD interview Gina T said one of the first people to call her was Maura West...umm, I wonder what she had to say about working on Y&R?

• Members

In 2009 Gina was offered 3 roles in Daytime:

Agnes on B&B: Sarah Brown got that

Victoria on YR: They wanted to recast

Kelly on OLTL

GT took Kelly cause she wanted to remain in NYC and revisit Kelly after 8 years away.

However YR did want her for Victoria.

Archived