Y&R: Phyllis finally recast

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Victoria was definitely more iconic. Then they felt she was too strong a woman for the show, and they devitalized her like you would do with a tooth. And now we're stuck with godawful Amelia Heinle.

• Members

Victoria loses her baby, Stitch turns out to be a lunatic and is killed off - or not, if he's truly interesting enough for the chemistry he had with Eileen Davidson to be worth keeping him, which I frankly doubt.

Victoria leaves town heartbroken, is gone for 3-6 months. Returns played by, well, Gina Tognoni would've been perfect but here we are. Or Sarah Brown. And is the old Victoria again, hardened by life and loss. Simple solution.

• Members

Even Heather Tom wasn't really the "old Victoria" in her last years in the role. Y&R gave up on female characters like Victoria in the mid/late 90s.

I think the character is beyond salvaging at this point.

• Members

but THAT is the thing tho, isn't it? There is so much going for Victoria being the HBIC in Genoa City, yet she STAYS being overshadowed by these other women (Dru, Phyl, Sharon, even Grace when she was on the show!) w/o all the heritage... that's hilarious. Regardless of Amelia Heinle's performance and on-screen presence, even when Heather Tom had the role... there was ALWAYS another female on the canvas draaaaaging her (and/or Ashley, tbh) .

• Members

Heather's Victoria was still Victoria until the end.

It was the writers that decided that Victoria was a "romantic dead end" to justify making Nick & Sharon the new second generation Newman leads (despite the fact that Heather had shown tons of chemistry with several existing Y&R lead actors before her exit).

• Members

I still can't believe they had Victor tell Victoria that he didn't want her to be his heir because she was a woman. And then the writers didn't allow her to prove to be the heir he needed. Without the triumph, TPTB validated Victor's position. Well damn!

• Members

Gina's interview in SOD was great she talked about how she got cast as Phyllis. She said as soon as the casting call went out she sent out her work to y and r which she immediately got a call would u test for us. She said the audition was very nerve racking and there were very good actresses auditioning.

She said JFP told get go to think balls to the walls in this audition. She said she went for it in a big way had no idea if she got the part and was thrilled when JFP called her and said her audition was flawless. She is so happy to work with Jill again who she said she worked do many million moons ago at OLTL but Jill gets it and is so smart and terrific. She said her husband is a god send and she will still commute back and forth to the east costs. She said y and r is a dream show. Her name floated around in the early 2000s for Victoria when I think it was when heather Tom left in 2003 and also during times where she almost bolted. She said in 2009 she met with Maria bell for a role but the timing didn't work. People don't remember Gina was offered sandy on b and b and she declined which went to Sarah brown. She chose Kelly because wanted to be on the east coast she had just married her husband. She is ready to knock it out.

• Members

Cassadine in SOD raved about Gina in SOD saying how amazing her read was with him. I wish I could have seen her audition everyone raves how amazing it was. I think it's awesome Gina though actually auditioned for the part against other actresses not handed the part because she worked with JFP 15 to 16 years ago.

Archived