Y&R: Phyllis finally recast

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pleased about this recast. To my complete shock I grew to love Gina's Dinah on GL. I adored Wendy Moniz in the role (even though she was also a recast) and thought she was irreplaceable. But Gina made the character her own and she was amazing. It was doubly shocking for me because I hated Kelly Cramer more than any character ever. Whether played by GT or Heather Tom. And when Gina returned to OLTL as Kelly and began slobbering all over Micheal Easton, I was so disappointed. I do think she's an extraordinary talent. And she will refresh the character. I also think she would have sliced open a vein if it would have helped her get the role of Nina and put her in Easton's orbit.

• Members

Would be awesome if she took Phyllis back to being that crazy, unpredictable psycho babe who got her thrills by putting squids in people's beds, slept with her marriage counselor and was the town pariah.

But only if Phyllis is supporting. The Phyllis character should have never evolved into a lead female almost-heroine.

• Members

wow! I'm glad Gina Tognoni's getting work! I'm too busy to watch Y&R and I haven't really watched since William Russ was fired. GT would make a great Phyllis. I never liked OLTL's Kelly but GT was fierce in the role! I didn't see much of her GL run but I heard great things about her there too.

Michelle Stafford just reinforces how much GH sucks and that RC can't do anything right especially with writing or casting. But MS was always just perfect for how obnoxious and trashy Phyllis was.

• Members

" I am beyond blessed to play this incredible role of Phyllis Newman at Young and the Restless. I am thrilled to be back on CBS . Thank you for your support I feel it in my HEART. So excited to work with this Amazing cast and crew . I am grateful To my beautiful Husband, my family, friends and The best FANS in the world . "

Xxg

• Members

Awesome news and the person I thought should be Phyllis. Gina Tognoni is 40 years old and she's an excellent actress. She's been in daytime for many years as Kelly and Phyllis. This is a huge coup for her. It says they auditioned her and that's fabulous. Can't wait to see her in this role. She's 8 years younger then Michelle but a great choice.

• Members

Considering how insane so many soap fans are, I'm glad Stafford was positive about it.

As for the recast - I think Phyllis needed more time offcanvas. I don't think Victoria being recast would matter, because the show, or Sony, want Victoria to be weak and irrelevant. How many writing regimes have had her this way? We're on our fourth or fifth.

I think Gina could be a decent Phyllis, but the show just doesn't seem to have any writing capability for layers or complexity.

We'll see.

• Members

I feel like a good show would deal with this and know how to work with Amelia (like Loving), but I see your point. I guess it's just that I've seen Gina with writing like Victoria gets, and it wasn't pretty (Kelly Cramer).

Archived