NBC Fall 2014 Schedule

Toups

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You should read it. It's a good book.

While NBC still has a long way to go (it's comedy situation is in dire, dire straights), It's been improving. It actually came in first for the adult-18-49 demo for the 2013-2024 broadcast season, and that's with FOX having the Superbowl (CBS still 1st in total viewers for the season). FOX and ABC are in MUCH worse shape than NBC is.

• Members

State of Affairs seems like their move to try and get a Scandal on their hands. I doubt it will work but they've set it up to succeed. We shall see.

The Voice shouldn't air twice a year. It's ratings are falling each week (although Spring ratings overall usually suck for most shows anyway). It's still a very solid lead in though and is in no way slowing down but why ruin a good thing and air it so much?

Poor Debra Messing. I think I might like that show but it's probably DOA. It's like ABC with Thursday's at 8. Just a dead spot for them. Nothing works or lasts.

SVU shouldn't be a 9pm show and neither should Blacklist. Though I give them huge props for having the balls to move Blacklist.

Marry Me (though with the Voice, it could do OK, but I feel like it will bring down About a Boy) and A to Z will not do well. Why networks think these rom-coms will ever succeed is beyond me. They never do. The Biggest Loser on Thursday's was smart. It's solid and will do well wherever.

Bad Judge ... I love Kate Walsh but I don't know.

NBC was smart on Friday's, pairing Grimm with Constantine, but I hear there's been a very meh reaction to Constantine.

It's funny that NBC thinks they're getting so much better so they cancel all the bubble shows they've used over the years (Community, Parks & Parenthood). It was time to move on from them. I understand Community and Parks (which are funny shows, I like them) have rabid fans but the meltdowns over them doesn't make sense because they just weren't doing well at all in the ratings. Period.

• Members

It's beyond me as well. Characters in these kinds of shows are invariably dopey or repulsive and always annoying. And when was the last time a rom-com worked well in the theaters much less on the TV screen?

• Members

It's sad that it is no longer financially viable for NBC to offer programming on saturdays. That kind of schedule is why they used to call The WB and FOX junior networks years ago--not truly offering a full slate of shows. But looking at these shows is it any wonder? The Unbreakable Kimmy Shmidt sounds ridiculous. I can't even imagine how they sold this to NBC.

" So anyway,,,what if we did an update of The Mary Tyler Moore Show or That Girl...only our girl was in a cult for 15 years!!!" (That's a midseason replacement I gather, produced by Tina Fey)

Wingwalker, NBC's Must See TV died over a decade ago, around the time they tried to have us believe "Suddenly Susan" was must see, only no one believed them.

• Members

The Golden Girls was a top 10 hit for NBC for many seasons on Saturday nights. Since the mid 90's, Saturday has become and less and less relevant to networks.

NBC's Must See TV lineup died with Friends (a show I've never liked all that much). But really, only four shows defined that name anyway (The Cosby Show, Cheers, Seinfeld, and Friends - I guess we can count ER and some of the other dramas, but they weren't as pop culture centered).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For me Friends, Cheers, Cosby Show and Will & Grace defined NBC thursdays. I was never a Seinfeld fan nor an ER fan. I had no many happy nights growing up watching those shows and many more that were on NBC thursdays in the late 80's and into the early 2000's. it sickens me that NBC this new season has completely given up on sitcoms for thursdays. I even liked Parks and Rec occasionally when i could watch Rob Lowe.

Saturdays was another special night for years (not as many as NBC Thursdays) Gimmie a Break was on it, Facts of LIfe was on it, 227, Golden Girls (which you mentioned), Sisters, Empty Nest. So many good shows.

• Members

The thing is, comedy sitcoms seems to be dying in recent years, anything new at least. Nothing new they put out is even funny anymore and all these new sitcoms seem to get canceled rather quick. I can see nbc giving up bc at last dramas still can make it past a season a make a buck or two. Once the Big Bang theory finally decides to end or go into steep declines, there's nothing for CBS as well.

I still would like to know what people find so funny about modern family? I not a fan of it one bit and the Duffy parents and the skinnier gay guy are beyond annoying. Also the Two little kids have grown up and aren't cute anymore and pointless now.

I will say one thing, I did like the comedies that USA network put out this year bc they are edgier and can get away with saying more words than network tv.

This goes back to why basic cable and sites like netflix are winning, better material and smaller seasons.

• Members

Oh i have to disagree with you there. CBS is still very popular with Sitcoms. Two Broke Girls is getting more popular. Mom did good in it's first season. Lots of people like that Mike and Molly. Even Two and a Half men is still semi-watchable. Right now i think CBS is the only station (basic cable) that is really making a go of sitcoms for now.

I still say NBC can be good again but they just don't want to. I know the world has changed but before The Cosby show in 1984, NBC had sunk as low as possible (at the time.) and then once Cheers ended in 1993, it started sinking again. Cosby Show was gone, Golden Girls was gone, Family Ties was gone. and then Friends came on in 1994 and brought a new push of popularity.

• Members

Two Broke Girls hasn't performed to expectations and Mom is more of a timeslot hit.

They may have a few shows but they likely won't have any big sitcom hits unless they stop relying on Chuck Lorre retreads. They also need to know what fits their channel.

Archived